Damages

Answered!
Marcos3
Level 1
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

Damages

How should I proceed should I notice a damage to something has been done when the guest is checking-out?  I usually meet them at the premises for getting back keys, good-byes and a quick glance inspection.  I have no security deposit on my listing.

Thanks,

1 Best Answer
Clare0
Level 10
Templeton, CA

@Marcos3 You should put a Security Deposit on your listing, even if it is just a couple of hundred dollars.  Airbnb does not charge the guests the Security Deposit when booking so there is really no reason not to have one. 

But, should a guest causes damage and you want to file a claim against your security deposit, this is the procedure: 

https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/264/what-do-i-do-if-my-guest-breaks-something-in-my-place

For best results, always provide a picture of the damage as well as the cost to replace or repaid.  If you have the original receipt for the item, that helps as well.  

View Best Answer in original post

16 Replies 16
Clare0
Level 10
Templeton, CA

@Marcos3 You should put a Security Deposit on your listing, even if it is just a couple of hundred dollars.  Airbnb does not charge the guests the Security Deposit when booking so there is really no reason not to have one. 

But, should a guest causes damage and you want to file a claim against your security deposit, this is the procedure: 

https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/264/what-do-i-do-if-my-guest-breaks-something-in-my-place

For best results, always provide a picture of the damage as well as the cost to replace or repaid.  If you have the original receipt for the item, that helps as well.  

Marcos3
Level 1
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

Thank you, Clare, for the advice.

I 'll follow your suggestions.

Very best 2018 wishes,

Marcos

Calvin26
Level 2
Winston-Salem, NC

I had damage done by a door in my home.  The guest would not pay and Airbnb said the value was zero because it was 30 years old.   Zero to replace a door!  I can’t believe their response.  Hosting can end up costing you money instead of making a little money. 

I've experienced the same thing with airbnb.  They won't pay for anything!  I had a 3 month old microwave scratched by a guest who used a fork to push the buttons.  Airbnb said "normal wear and tear."  They will never charge guests.  When you try to talk to them, Airbnb will refuse. Beware people!  It's expensive to host.  Guests can get away with whatever they want and you get stuck with the bill!

Totally agree!

Guest made damages to the house, I open a claim, they told me I have 60 days to do this. When I open the claim they said I should have done it 14 days although I have a written message from them saying I have 60 days.

Airbnb closed it without apparent reason and nothing was done!

Gino26
Level 2
Virginia Beach, VA
Alex119
Level 2
Athens, Greece

I just faced same thing. 

Decided to check community just to be sure that my case is unique. As far as I can see, it is not. 

Guest closed the door at night and left the key inside. I was forced to brake the glass so I can get in the house. Since guest never answered for a doorbell and phone call. 

Changing a glass is not much. It’s just a 25 euros. But guest refused to pay (of couse) clamming this is not his fault. And Airbnb resolution center said its fare that I will pay for the damage by my self. So I got from guest 29 and paid 25... + cleaning. 

What is bothering me is the fact that I have handmade furniture. Its literally priceless. Airbnb unsure me when I started hosting that every damage will be covered. 

Well if 25 cannot covered... I am not sure that I want to take risks and keep hosting. Honestly.   

Fly-Girls0
Level 1
Phoenix, AZ

We had our very first guests check out today. They were there for 7 days. Our newly remodeled home with brand new furnishings and appliances was trashed. They did damage to walls and did drywall work to cover it up. Holes in the wall. Dents in stainless steel refrigerator. Broken gate which they tried to fix. Full length mirror missing. Filthy, bloody sheets. 7 huge bags of trash left in yard which my handy man had to haul away. Neighbors heard and witnessed fighting, screaming and yelling. We have a $400 deposit but damages are much more than that. Airbnb says I need to request money from them. But what if they don't pay? Will Airbnb send us the $400 deposit? What recouse do we have. Does it help to write a review. I don't want this to happen to anyone else?  I have his name and company they works for. Any advice is appreciated! 

@Fly-Girls0 you should document everything immediately with pictures.

Contact Airbnb and let them know what happened and they will tell you how to proceed.

You will be asked for a lot of documentation (and probably asked to get repair estimates). 

You can be compensated for more than your security deposit if the damage is of the type covered by the Host Guarantee policy.

Some hosts have had a good experience in filing a damage claim, and some have had a bad time. Try to establish a good relationship with the Airbnb support people helping you and do your best to provide exactly and fully all the documentation they ask for.

The review is not relevant to determining what you can claim, but please do write an accurate review of the guest. Be brief and professional, and stick to the facts in your review.

Assume you will get little or nothing from AirBnB.

Good that you have their contact detaisl, assume you will need to take Court action and proceed accordingly.

David
Natasha0
Level 4
London, United Kingdom

airbnb does **bleep**all about your damage, we have now just have damage with our flooring when a guest was dragging things around and airbnb refuses to do anything about it. I believe it is time to start taking this seriously as I'm thingking about taking airbnb to cour in the UK as their contract is misleading to say the least.

I'm wondering here if we can open a lawsuit againts airbnb abusive terms and in reality don't even cover your minimal damages? I'll speak to a solicitor to check this.

Natasha0
Level 4
London, United Kingdom
Canmore-AirBNB0
Level 2
Calgary, Canada

Had a similar experience with Air BNB and a guests causing damage to my home and Air BNB not upholding their host guarantee.  Here's what happened.  I am absolutely disgusted at Air BNB and their claims of a "Host Guarantee" is an absolute joke.

Guests left my home an utter disgusting mess, including human feces all over my counters, garbage everywhere.  I had to pay $300 for an emergency fumigation and disinfection of my property before my next guests checked in at 4pm that same day.

I contacted the guests at 1pm the day of checkout after finding their mess.  Send an email plus photos through Air BNB, and asked guest for money to cover my extra cleaning charges.  Followed all steps as required by Air BNB.

Guests did not respond to my request, and ignored it for the week following.

Case manager was assigned to my file.  Case manager said Air BNB couldn't get a hold of the guests either.

Case manager said that BECAUSE AIR BNB WAS NOT ABLE TO GET A HOLD OF THE GUEST (IE the Guests ignored all calls and emails from Air BNB on the matter), THEY ARE UNABLE TO DEDUCT THE AMOUNT REQUESTED FROM THE GUESTS DAMAGE DEPOSIT.  I was out of luck and Air BNB  DID NOTHING to uphold their so-called Host Guarantee - they instead said because the guests ignored Air BNB and my requests, the guest cannot be charged from my $1000 damage deposit.

HOW IS THIS ACCEPTABLE?  and what's the point of having a security deposit if Air BNB holds it hostage and doesn't apply proven documented damages against it? They stand up for guests and leave hosts stranded and out of pocket money when the entire time there was a damage deposit FOR A REASON! Might as well not even have one if this is how Air BNB works.

It appears to me that the way for a guests to get away with damages to a hosts home is by doing this - DON'T RESPOND TO AIR BNB or THE HOST and you get away without paying a cent of damages or have a cent taken form your security deposit!  Air BNB sides with guests in these situations, and has acted entirely inappropriately.  I have had 35 emails with Air BNB on the matter, and it takes them weeks to even respond.  

I am a super host with 4 properties, 5 star rating, and this is the treatment I received.

Could not be more disgraced with Air BNB.

Beverly100
Level 2
Fort Worth, TX

I'm a new host and I think I made a mistake.  I sent my guest an email explaining the damages they left and a list of cost.  Before I could send a request for damages the guest sent or "offered" to pay for damages through Airbnb.  In the notifications area it says "You have a $27.55 offer from (her name)".  Will Airbnb  automatically deposit that in my account or do I need to do anything to make that happen?   It's really not clear what actions I need to take.  Also where do I find this information?