Day 9 - First White Christmas

Yuan100
Level 10
Singapore

Day 9 - First White Christmas

Thank you @Katie for reaching out so I could keep everyone posted what I’ve been up to and to share my travel journey with you guys.

This year is filled with so many uncertainties where we learned to embrace ‘just go with the flow’. My partner supposed to come back to Asia in October but due to strict rules in Singapore, he’s unable to enter. After being apart for 5 months, I decided to go over. I never thought I would be in the Nordic countries to spend my first white Christmas. It’s kinda weird to be travelling during such a time. I am now writing from a small town in Norway as we’re doing our own self-quarantine for the next 10 days.

Before my trip, my friends helped to prepare a few items for safety precaution since I will be on the plane for a total of 13 hrs. It's better to be safe than sorry! Although my partner is from Norway, we decided to meet in Stockholm because Singapore is exempted from quarantine.

PPE, all kind of wipes, masks, disinfectant, gloves and hand sanitisersPPE, all kind of wipes, masks, disinfectant, gloves and hand sanitisers Bringing my starter along because I will be baking my own bread during quarantineBringing my starter along because I will be baking my own bread during quarantine In my funky PPEIn my funky PPE 

I transited in Doha for 2 and a half hours. For my first leg of the trip Singapore - Doha passengers did observe the rule of wearing a mask on board however on my second leg of the trip Doha- Stockholm it is not the same. I am a little anxious, to be honest especially when someone coughed. Yes, I am that paranoid!!  😅

View from aboveView from above

We booked an Airbnb away from the city. It was a studio within a house with the host, Malin and her family staying beside us. Thou, the space is not that big but it’s enough for us both. The studio was very well equipped. She even prepared a few types of disinfectant near to the door. I really do appreciate how she took care of the place and the well being of her guests. She leaves 3 days gap in between each booking. 

Home for the next 2 nightsHome for the next 2 nightsLittle decorsLittle decorsFully equipped kitchenFully equipped kitchen

We managed to have one full day exploring Stockholm. However, at the back of my head, I am pretty guarded still. It seems everything is normal here. It was such a huge contrast from Singapore.

Exploring Gamla stanExploring Gamla stan Stockholm cityStockholm city Trying to get used to the sun setting at 3pmTrying to get used to the sun setting at 3pm

We crossed the border between Sweden and Norway by car. Of course, I did my covid test beforehand in Stockholm just in case there is a check at the border. We drove 6 hours thru some darkness and slippery roads. Nonetheless, we made it back home with some Indian food takeaways as a treat!

Woke up to snowWoke up to snow

Living in a winter place is such an eye-opening experience for me (first-timer). Little things like scraping frozen ice from the car window shield, watching smokes coming out from the chimney or just sitting by the fireplace comforts me. I am happy I don't have to sweat when I cook or bake, even better when I pipped whipping cream it doesn't melt at all! I am still getting used to all these and loving each day to the fullest.

Sitting by the fireplace with my doughSitting by the fireplace with my doughWhipping cream doesn't melt!Whipping cream doesn't melt!A cup of hot chocolateA cup of hot chocolate

Despite such a year, I am still able to tick off my yearly goal which is to visit one new country every year. I am counting my blessings and feeling grateful every day to be able to spend this time with my partner. I also look forward to visiting my ex-guest who is residing in Oslo. Back when we met 7 years ago, we didn't expect we would end up with a Norwegian partner. It's funny how things come together.  

I hope everyone here able to spend this Christmas with your loved ones. What is your family Christmas traditions like? Any special dishes you guys would make? I would love to hear it because this is my first time celebrating a proper white Christmas! 

Sending you guys much love this Christmas season. Hope everyone here able to spend it with your loved ones.

Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year! ❤️

Much much love from Norway!Much much love from Norway!

Yuan

36 Replies 36
Jason1470
Level 10
Port Hedland, Australia

Hi @Yuan100 ,

Thanks for sharing your story and the amazing photos. It look like you are certainly making the most of your white Christmas!

As you mentioned, it’s incredible that you’ve managed to travel so far and do so much despite the lockdowns, the travel bans and the uncertainty of extended trips. Great going!! 

Reading about your experiences and seeing the photos in a Covid world makes the reader yearn for travel in a manner that’s never been felt before only because such adventures seem out of reach for most people across the globe. 

I send you some warm sunshine from the Southern Hemisphere and wish you and yours truly a memorable Christmas season.

P.S: Who knows, if you are lucky, you may just see Santa and his reindeer’s dashing through the snow! 

Best,

Jason

Hi @Jason1470 !!!

Aww thank you for your warm wishes 😄

Indeed I am feeling very fortunate to be out here on this adventure. I hope by sharing my story, it would inspire others to be brave and take the chance to be their loved ones. 

I actually bumped into a few reindeers at night on the road! You definitely know what's it like having kangaroos roaming around the roads as well! 

Helen350
Level 10
Whitehaven, United Kingdom

AAARRRGGGHHHH! - Don't mention 'Santa'! - How I hate that nonsense! I don't have children, but if I had had them I would have never told them that lie!  I just can't bring myself to perpetuate such nonsense. Any kid who mentions the S word near me will be put right!

Well, that Santa lie is out there in the world, so there's not even any need to tell it to children. They pick it up just by being alive, unless they never come in contact with others.

My kids always knew Santa wasn't real, nor the Easter Bunny, but they enjoyed the pretending anyway. Kids are like that. Knowing it isn't real doesn't seem to quell the fun of it.

There's much more damaging lies parents tell their kids, or lie by omission. Like when a friend of my daughter's came over to our house one day, really upset, even though it was his birthday, because his mom had waited until his 13th birthday to tell him that he was adopted.

Whereas another friend of mine told me her mom must have let her know that she was adopted from a very young age because she says she always knew and can't really remember being told. She does remember her mom telling her that she was the best thing that ever happened to her, as she couldn't have babies of her own, that my friend was the prettiest baby in the nursery and her mom was so happy to find out that was the baby she was getting.

@Helen350

Helen350
Level 10
Whitehaven, United Kingdom

- A real bugbear of mine @Sarah977 , since 1991 when I had a workmate, a single parent, with a 5 yr old who said "Shhh, don't mention S... in front of him, I told myself when he was born I would never lie to him!" - And I admired her for that, and have supported her stance ever since! (Especially when in a bad mood! - Grr! ) 

Thanks for humoring me!

🙂

Laura2484
Level 10
Ohope, New Zealand

A white Christmas will be a memory you’ll have always @Yuan100 and sharing these new experiences with your partner. Travel is something that offers enrichment and the discovery is an adventure for sure!

Thank you for sharing your post, we get to travel from the comfort of our homes.

Festive wishes to you both and your families.🎄🌏

Thank you @Laura2484 !! Glad you enjoyed my travel journey 😊

Merry Christmas to you and your family too!

J-Renato0
Level 10
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

@Yuan100 

Beautiful post!

Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!

Thank you @J-Renato0 😘

@Yuan100 

It's wonderful that you are able to spend the holiday season with your partner~ and enjoy your first white Christmas together~♡

I could almost smell your bread baking as I was reading your post~

Merry Christmas~☆

@Jessica-and-Henry0 

Thank you so much!! 😄 Have a wonderful festive season you both! 

Melodie-And-John0
Level 10
Munnsville, NY

@Yuan100 , wow, what a super adventure and wonderfully told story of it.  So I have to ask, was customs interested in your jar of yeasty beasties?  Bless you and your partner on your travels during Christmas and beyond!   Stay well, JR

@Melodie-And-John0 

hahha actually they did not notice it at all! I brought a small sum of bread flour just to feed my starter, they saw the flour but didn't ask anything. so yay! hahaha 

thank you and have a merry Christmas!!

Yuan

Trudie7
Level 6
Sydney, Australia

@Yuan100 Mulled wine is a must when staying in the snow, especially at Christmas 🍷🌲

wee! @Trudie7  yessss! and with some Christmas cookies 😋