Dirty apartment and mishaps

Dirty apartment and mishaps

Alright. So I'm new to Airbnb, and I'm only on my second guests. 

At the moment, many incidents have been reported by them:

1) a noisy radiator. I've called a technician and even gone over there myself to look for/hear the noise but I've found absolutely nothing. 

2) a broken sink. The tube for the spray nozzle has a mysterious hole. I've assumed that it was because of the water pressure and I've had someone come to temporarily fix it, but they say that it's a tear caused by the guests. I haven't mentioned that I suspect them of causing the problem. 

3) the biggest mishap. We had a terrible storm last night, and during it, the guest's apartment door flew open. But not only did it blow open, but a stray CAT entered and made its home in their bed! And when they tried to get it out, it pooped on their bedsheets! I personally think this is too terrible of an occurrence to blame it on them for leaving the door ajar, but I need help figuring out what to do.

Should I give them a re-fund (they're already paying a drastically discounted price)? A discount (see note) ? Simply give them a box of chocolates as an apology (I've actually already done this...). 

While under normal circumstances, I would give them some type of financial compensation; there's one last thing: the apartment is a total mess. I'm not just talking clothes everywhere, but food all over the house, massive amounts of trash in all of the rooms, bedsheets moved off the beds, dirty pots and pans just left around.. I havent even braved the bathroom and I'm already disgusted. While, sure, cleaning is one thing- but this mess is otherworldly, and will probably cost a huge amount to hire adequate clean up help. 

Thank you for your reply. Any advice is more than welcome. 

8 Replies 8
Emiel1
Level 10
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands

@Betta3 

None of the issues is because of your fault. Things happens and there is even suspicion some incidents are caused by the guests themself. And you did everything to resolve the ptroblems. Given the fact the guests are also not perfect themself regarding cleanlines, paying attention etc, i think some refund is not necessary.

Best regards,

Emiel

Thanks for your reply!

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Betta3 Are they asking for a refund, or just complaining? In any case, I would no way refund, their complaints are silly. If the door "blew open" it wasn't properly latched to start with. 

If they are scamming for a refund, I'd tell them that since you would normally charge for the extensive and above normal cleaning required due to the disgusting mess they left, you'll just call it even.

Give them a 3+ or less review, then they won't be able to IB at all.

Thank you for your opinion. They haven't even mentioned a refund, but I don't want them to give me a bad review either. However, when I was going to check on them last night, they saw me walking over and turned off all of the lights. And when they opened the door, it reeked of weed- which is illegal here... So should I just not worry about it? 

Beth80
Level 10
State of Roraima, Brazil

@Betta3  Please don't refund them, it sends a bad message. 

You've apologized, tried to fix things and given them a gift.

If they suggest compensation do as @Sarah977  suggests and remind them of the extra cleaning that you aren't charging them for. 

Not a good way to start your new adventure into hosting. Hopefully it will improve quickly!

Thanks for your opinion, Beth!

Mark116
Level 10
Jersey City, NJ

@Betta3 Closed doors don't 'blow open' unless you had a tornado.  So, I'm not believing this story of a door blew open, and then, what? within 5 minutes a stray cat came in the apartment and got in the bedroom?  BS.  

There is nothing you can do if the radiator is loud, I've had guests complain that the A/C was too loud, I even had some guests complain about chimes in the back yard.  These are jerks.  

It was probably the guests also who put a hole in the cord, so I wouldn't give them any discount, especially if they didn't ask for one, and give them the review they deserve....much more cleaning needed, failed to take basic precautions like locking the doors, etc. 

ETA...I see you are new, so the hint for reviewing bad guests is that you wait until the last day, day 14, to review them unless they have already reviewed you, and this will potentially give them less time to do a revenge review.  Your listing is lovely, its a shame you got bad guests so early in your hosting.

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Mark116   I stay with a friend when I go to Canada in the summer- I always have to take down the wind chimes when i stay- they drive me crazy- wake me up all night long 🙂 Some people find it pleasant and relaxing- some don't.