Discount to families with children and pensioners?

Dorri0
Level 2
Hierden, Netherlands

Discount to families with children and pensioners?

Our Summerhouse is the ideal location from which to hike, bicycle or otherwize explore the local attractions. We want to keep the price within reach of pensioners and families. We have noticed that more frequently travellers, usually four young adults together, use our summerhouse as a jump-off point for day trips to Amsterdam, more than a hour away by car or train. We don't feel a need to discourage this however we do feel a price hike would be in order as our price is too far under market price for travellers to Amsterdam or Utrecht. Is it possible to somehow raise the price for these travellers and offer a discount to families with children under sixteen and pensioners?

Looking forward to you reactions...

kind regards,

Dorri and Coert

3 Replies 3
Cathie19
Level 10
Darwin, Australia

Hello @Dorri0,

What I might consider in your situation would be to raise your price if the listing can handle it.

Place near your title header, or just under it, or in a photo image, discounts offered to  verified pensioners and families under these conditions.. but be mindful, this might be seen as discrimination in some areas, so let’s call upon other hosts to offer opinions.

Alternative 2 - wait to get a booking then make a special price offer.

alternative  3 - if you have a pensioner magazine or newsletter available, you might never able to advertise your link with discounts given...

So food for thought fellow hosts?

Lawrene0
Level 10
Florence, Canada

I get lots of college students, @Dorri0 , and they are wonderful -- one or two at a time, not roaming in packs 🙂 -- so I like to stay within their budget. But then I also get people who could likely afford more, and it is those who tend to take advantage a bit - using extra resources, needing more of my time. If it was just the latter crowd, I would up my price for sure. But I'm not at the point where I want to give up the good bunch, the backpacker students, so I continue to price for them. 

What you could do for families is allow children under 16 to come for free. Just put that in your summary (so it gets seen). The family would book for the correct number, and then you would refund the amount for the children. Would that work? 

Pantai-Paris0
Level 1
Maumere, Indonesia

I think here is a task for AirBnb as well. Here in Indonesia, pensioners are definitely not budget travelers. So I only speak RE discount for children.

Why can AirBnb just not make a pricing system where children get a discount? (or IS this actually possible? I can't find out how).

I know that bookng,con is struggling with this as well. Or just don't want to make the effort... 

Under the present ways AirBNB works, for Dorri, I guess, Cathie19 alternative 2 only makes sense: Not put on "Instant booking" and NEGOCIATE A PRICE.