Do I need to report guests who are asking for my phone number?

Rishi4
Level 2
Mumbai, India

As of now, I am using the "Saved Messages" feature which says:

===================================================

Regarding contacting me on the phone please refer to the following links on AirBnB

Why should I pay and communicate through Airbnb directly?

How do I contact a host before booking a reservation or experience?

After you read the links above and have understood why phone communication is inappropriate, you can get in touch with me on Airbnb website itself.

Hope this clarifies

===================================================

Is this good enough?

7 Replies 7
Helga0
Level 10
Quimper, France

That seems a bit overkill to me 😉
If a new member sends his phone nimber for discussing further questions or asks for mine, I just say, that phone bumbers are censored before the booking is completed.
I refuse all messenger apps after booking too, sms limited to emergency situations. 

If they ask for the phone number to discuss alternative payment methods, obviously knowing, what they do, I would not waste time sending help files, but flag them to trust and security. If their first request is to help them fraud m'y longterm business partner out of his commission, I don't want them in my house anyway. 

How do I "flag them to trust and security" ?

Beside the conversation and in the profile is a small flag icon, to report strange profiles. (On a computer). If

you refuse a request, do it on a computer, as this lets you choose the reason. Some reasons will be treated automatically (wrong dates), others will be read by the Trust and Security department. It may result in getting a mail a few weeks later, that you were in contact with a scammer and the profile has been removed. 

David126
Level 10
Como, CO

They get my number once they have made a booking, never had anybody ask before.

David

In India, 50% of the time they ask for my number. Phew! 

International travellers appear to understand that phone is the appropriate way to contact a host. 🙂

@Rishi4, of the 5 enquiries I have received last week, 4 either share their contact info which is blocked by Airbnb or ask me to share my contact details. It's so painful. And when i ask them for queries, they never reply back.

@Jayesh0if they never reply back that's good. They are guests you don't want to host anyway because they want to outsmart the system. Think about it. They are willing to violate the rules and bypass Airbnb to get a cheaper deal with you directly. (ALERT! BAD NEWS) If you host them imagine the havoc they can create for you when they arrive as they will arm twist you too. 🙂 But remember this is a trait in all human beings, so take it with a pinch of salt and move on. Let go of such enquiries. Airbnb will keep sending you more guests, don't worry. 🙂