Do NOT stay at ** in Tulum Mexico

Jenae3
Level 3
New York, NY

Do NOT stay at ** in Tulum Mexico

I am resorting to posting this information in a community forum because after several attempts to leave a review on the listing which we stayed, I am told there is no way possible to do so. My friends and I would just like to inform future Tulum tourists of our experiences and give them helpful insights to be able to make well informed decisions. My review below is regarding ** Tulum, Q.R., Mexico.

Do NOT stay here!!! If I could give 0 stars, I would!!!! We booked this property through Airbnb for my Bachelorette party. At first we were astonished at how beautiful and spacious the villa was. The excitement quickly died once we discovered that the first night we were ROBBED! The walls of the property are very low and easy to hop over. The locks on the doors are easy to break, and even easier to get into if you have the key to them(I'll explain later)! Throughout the course of our 4 day stay, we were robbed 3 times. After the first night, we alerted the hosts and they hired 24 hour security, which made us feel safe again. The guards were supposed to do 12 hour shifts but that never happened. We had the same guard for nearly 30+ hours, and made multiple requests and calls to the host to alert the security company to send relief, as we felt bad that this poor kid was still working without any sleep. We also didn't feel safe being protected by a fatigued guard. When we arrived back at the villa from an excursion we discovered that the same guard was still there, and he was drunk off of a full bottle of rum of ours, that he'd stolen out of the kitchen. We were terrified! Once we were successfully able to get him off of the property, we alerted the hosts, (host) and ** (Owner). After we searched our rooms and belongings, we noticed that we had been robbed yet again. To recap all that was stolen from us at **: an iPhone X(valued at $1,000+USD), $600 USD cash, a passport, Beats headphones, a watch, and a priceless gold necklace gifted by a grandmother. ** and her husband, who own the property, assured us that they have never experienced anything like this before and that they would help us get our money back from everything that was stolen from us. They begged us not to leave reviews and promised to refund our stay as well. 2 weeks after our trip, select parts of the conversation that we had with **  via Whatsapp was deleted, detailing our attempts to contact them to alert them as to what was happening. We received a cryptic email from ** and her Husband detailing a contract for us to sign, offering us nothing in return for our tragic vacation, lying and saying that we destructed the house, broke glass cups etc which was completely untrue. This was by far the worst vacation ever, and a terrible Bachelorette. There was a moment when I thought that we wouldn't make it back to the US. To this day, we aren't sure if ** and her Husband were in on the robberies but it certainly would make a lot of sense. Save yourselves the trouble and potentially your life, and stay on a resort.

**[Sensitive information removed in line with - Community Center Guidelines]

22 Replies 22

I would love to know what Villa this is. My best friends wedding will be there next year!!

Hi there, this villa was Villa Kinka. In case that remove the name again its: V!lla K!nka Vill@ Kink@.  Looks like the name was censored out of my original post. Crazy to me that Airbnb would not want to keep its customers informed to make safe decisions. My advice would be to stay at a hotel or resort.

@Jenae3  Any personal info, like email addresses or links are automatically removed from posts here. If you just state the name of the place, or post the Airbnb URL of the listing, it will not be removed.

Anton4029
Level 2
Dnipro, Ukraine

I am surprised at the inadequate comments of people with 10th level (except for Sarah777 who is only one person who posted a valuable response).
Instead of concrete proposals for solving the problem, or at least tips on how to solve this problem, they find fault with words and clever about the number of characters.

I can assume that these people will do absolutely nothing if people fall into a similar situation in their homes.

Noora0
Level 2
New York, NY

Airbnb censors EVERYTHING.  

Noora0
Level 2
New York, NY

They just REMOVED my review for a criminal host in Mexico I had a nightmare experience in, a container house in Chicxulub port in Yucatan, named Chris A. Romero.  I'm testing this to see if they will make all the names stars like they did on your post.  Airbnb is not reliable AT ALL, the customer service is a disaster. Time to BOYCOTT.

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Airbnb certainly doesn't censor everything @Noora0  🙂 I have seen many 'less than glowing' reviews from both hosts and guests.

They  normally only censor/remove your reviews @Noora0  if a guest or host says something in a review that breaks their T&Cs for leaving a review.

What was so awful about your experience with this host @Noora0 . According to their review of you, you didn't actually stay but decided to cancel ?

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

@Jenae3  I am so sorry to hear about your awful experiences. It must have been horrible to feel that the property you were staying at was so vulnerable. 

I know it's easy to say with hindsight, but if I was robbed at a property, I would have asked Airbnb to cancel the booking, after the first robbery, as I felt unsafe staying and ask for them to help me move to an alternative listing.

I do hope your travel insurance covered your losses.