Don't Email an AirBnB Link!

James739
Level 1
Riverside, CA

Don't Email an AirBnB Link!

Hi everybody.  This is my first time here.   🙂

I just want to strongly suggest that nobody send anyone a link to an AirBnB rental via email.  My girlfriend could not locate a house that I found on my computer so I sent her the link.  It turns out that when she clicked on the link she was logged into my account.  Not only that, but when she went to pay it was paid with MY PayPal account.  I'm fairly certain she did not enter my PayPal password--she doesn't even know what it is.  So, it turns out that over time I opened two different AirBnB accounts, not remembering whether I had or not, using two different browsers (Chrome and Firefox).   We then rented another AirBnB house and once again I had sent her the link.  She attempted to log out of my account and log in with hers.  She was unable to do that so she changed the payment type to her credit card.  The payment went through but it thought she was me and sent an invite to my other AirBnB account.  Well, recently she fell and was injured so we decided we had to cancel our trip.  When we attempted to cancel neither she nor I had that option under "Our Trips."  She called AirBnB and they said they sent an email to me.  I could not find any email from them.  Finally, I checked an old email address that I never use any more and found their email.  However, they were sending all of my reservation confirmations etc to my current email address.  Then they switched over to communicating with me through Messages on the web site which I only discovered because I was still looking for the "cancel" button.  I sent them medical information from her doctors, as requested, and was told that they cannot issue a refund (for the service fee) because she is not listed as a guest!!!  She booked the reservation and paid for it!  I was invited twice somehow and she was not invited at all.  These two rental incidents occured very close together so we were not yet aware of some of the consequences when we booked the second rental.

Mainly I am here to warn others about the potential bugs in the AirBnB system and to suggest that you do not send any links of any AirBnB rentals to anyone that you don't trust implictly.  Also, when she logs onto https://www.airbnb.com it now takes her to a different-looking website and sometimes the icons at the top are there and sometimes they are not.  To me it looks very suspicious and I would hesitate to use my credit card on the web site.

At this point I am afraid to change or cancel one of my profiles because they seem to be linked somehow and we still have another trip booked.  I will attempt to keep the one with the reviews from the Hosts that we have stayed with, if I can sort out the differences.

1 Reply 1
Emiel1
Level 10
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands

@James739 ,

I suspect he devices(s) you are using are infected by malware. A direct Airbnb link to an accomodation only looks like: https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/9613578  (random example, only the ID-number at the end, and nothing else should be mentiond after it)

Also if the normal Airbnb website brings you to a different site, you have infections like Virus, Malware etc. on the devices used.