Early Check Out

Joe2965
Level 1
Bozeman, MT

Early Check Out

I have a guest who booked for a month and got a 48% discount but has checked out 10 days early.  Can I have them cancel the reservation to open the dates at no penalty to me? I'm missing out on spring break bookings because he booked the entire month.

5 Replies 5
Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Joe2965 either the host or the guest can instigate a change to the duration of the booking. Pricing will be adjusted though as you can't have your cake and eat it I am afraid.

Emiel1
Level 10
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands

@Joe2965 

It is a  "long term stay", so the "long term stay" cancellation policy attached will not refund the guest any money hen cancelling. So you will be paid for the whole month. I understand the guest did not even cancel  and the reservation is still active now ?

If you want a different deal you can change the check-out date (shortening)  on the reservation ("change" option) and amend the price in the pricefield in the change-form to what you consider is fair.

After aceptance by the guest the reservation will end on the new check-out date and the dates will be available for new bookings.

M199
Level 10
South Bruce Peninsula, Canada

@Joe2965 

If the guest checked out early, that's not your place to cancel.  The guest needs to cancel, otherwise you will be blocked and penalized.  If, I was in your situation, I would get a jump  on it and get Airbnb CS to document on the guests reservation any pertinent information and that you if the guest wants to cancel, then fine.  But, under no circumstance should you initiate the cancellation.  Granted this is a suggestion, as you have not provided relevant detail to  explain as to why the guest left.

Debra300
Level 10
Gros Islet, Saint Lucia

@Joe2965,

It is a popular scam among some guests to book for a month to take advantage of a large discount that they wouldn't get if they booked for the shorter length of time that they actually want to stay.  Stays that are a month or longer automatically have the long-term cancellation applied.  If the guest wants to cancel early, they will be charged for the next 30 days from the date of cancellation, or the remainder of the reservation if less than 30 days are remaining.

Never cancel a reservation on behalf of the guest, nor provide a refund through the Resolution Center.  Tell the guest to log onto their itinerary, and submit a request to revise the checkout date.  You should always consult the Airbnb Help Center for formal information about processes and policies:  https://www.airbnb.com/help?audience=home_host.

Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

@Joe2965why don't you list these dates on some other platform or facebook?