Emotional support animals?

Carlie7
Level 2
Kelowna, Canada

Emotional support animals?

Hello,

I just posted my home for the first time.  I specfically said no pets in my ad.  I had a request from a lady asking if I would consider allowing her Emotional Support Dog, an old dog that is diabetic and apparently hypoallergenic. This is my family home and I have kids with many allergies and asthma.  I politly told her that due to personal and health reasons we would be strictly enforcing our no pet rule.

She replied she understood and told me she has been having a hard time finding a place due to this.  I then declined the reservation request.

She requested today again and had basically demanded I allow her reservation and she did not even have to tell me she was brining her dog as it's an ESA dog.

I read the Airbnb rules and yes, I understand that she is allowed and does not have to tell me.

Is there anything I can do aside from complety deleting my listing?  I feel like I am being bullied into accepting her reservation and now I have zero protection.  Her replies are actually quite passive aggressive and dog or no dog I do not want someone like that in my home after these messages.

HELP!

5 Replies 5
Ava30
Level 10
Eureka, CA

Hi @Carlie7 : If your listing is a shared space and you or anyone in your family has allergy issues OR it is a home you occupy even a part of the year, you do NOT have to allow any kind of Service or Emotional Support animal. If it were a stand alone that you did not live in at all, then you would. 

Thanks Ava!  This is our primary home that we live in.  We will be away July and August (but live in it the rest of the time) which is why we decided to airbnb it.  We also have a 1 bedroom basement suite that is currently unoccupied but we have decided to begin the process to find a long-term tenant not through Airbnb.

Where would I find a link that says that if it's a home I occupy even part of the year that I can decline the animal?

Thanks for the reply 🙂

Go to Help I the app, search What is an assistance animal? and scroll down to this paragraph 

What if I have a health or safety concern related to assistance animals?

It’s important to be aware of the fact that the assistance animal, whether a service animal or emotional support animal, plays an important role in your guest’s ability to travel. However, if your listing includes a shared space and an assistance animal would create a health or safety hazard to you or others (e.g. allergies and pets who are unable to share space with other animals due to a safety concern), we will not require you to host the guests with the assistance animal. Please be clear and polite when communicating with guests about this. We also suggest you include information regarding any allergies or any safety concerns regarding your pets in a shared space in your listing description in order to better inform prospective guests.

Ann489
Level 10
Boise, ID

@Carlie7 

Hi Carly,

we are in the same boat as we have several family members with severe allergies.  I was very specific in my listing that the health of my family is more important than any service animal/ESA.   I have gotten a few requests and I always politely declined.  Stay firm. This is YOUR house and YOUR rules.   🙂

This is what I wrote on my listing.  You're welcome to copy and paste.

Please, NO PETS. Our family has severe allergies and would like to keep our premises pet dander-free. Folks w/Service Animals: regretfully, we must decline your inquiry due to this, and we kindly request you honor this policy. While we understand your need, we cannot take the risk on our family's health. We hope you understand and thank you in advance for your consideration.

Lenore16
Level 1
Las Vegas, NV

I had a reservation from a woman who was supposed to check in for a month's stay on 6/1.  One of my requirements is that my guests agree to my house rules, one of which is "not suitable for pets".  When she came to check in, she had a dog.  Supposedly an "emotional support" animal.  She had never mentioned anything about a dog prior.  I told  her she could stay, but I cannot have dogs in my house due to having 2 cats.  

She cancelled the reservation, and Airbnb refunded her fully, and left me with an empty room and no payout.  Even though my cancellation policy is Moderate, meaning I should get a portion of the amount she would have paid.  

I am furious, needless to say!  She agreed to house rules, yet Airbnb conveniently forgot about that being my requirement.  Yes, I called to complain, but got nowhere.