Extra guests - advice please!

Answered!
Samaya0
Level 2
Bristol, United Kingdom

Extra guests - advice please!

Hello everyone,

I have just listed a large one bedroom flat, it has a double bed in the bedroom and a double SOFA bed in the large living room - I have put that it sleeps 4 at present BUT!

I would like to list it for 2 guests with an option to add up to 2 more guests for a small extra charge.

Does anyone know if my listing will still show up in searches for 4 guests looking for accommodation?

Also, it says on the extra guest charging editing page "extra guest fee after 1 - 2 or 3 etc guests" - sorry if this is a daft question - but do I put the charge after 2 extra guests?

I am not sure if it is after the 2 guests already included in a normal booking?

Thank you so much for any advice!

Samaya

Thank you

1 Best Answer
Marit-Anne0
Level 10
Bergen, Norway

@Samaya0

Assuming your base price will be for two, you set the amount for each guest after 2:

Base price for two will apply when one or two persons book.

3 guests - base price for two + small charge

4 guests - base price for two + small charge x2

View Best Answer in original post

11 Replies 11
Marit-Anne0
Level 10
Bergen, Norway

@Samaya0

Assuming your base price will be for two, you set the amount for each guest after 2:

Base price for two will apply when one or two persons book.

3 guests - base price for two + small charge

4 guests - base price for two + small charge x2

Samaya0
Level 2
Bristol, United Kingdom

thank you - that makes it perfectly clear!
Linda108
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

@Samaya0  No question is "daft" and no confusion is unique to you 😄  We all get puzzled by this platform.  I try to help others here but honestly I probably get more help just by reading the various posts.

Anyway, to your issue that you want to charge extra for the use of the sofa bed but this bed is in an entire apartment listing, right?  You might have a couple of options.  First you can assume that one or two guests are included in your nightly rate and charge extra fee for the third and fourth guests.  Three or four guests will automatically mean that the sofa bed will be used.  Or, you can also charge a "linen" fee for the use of the sofa bed if there are only 2 guests that do not want to sleep together.  You would have to have a way of restricting the available linens unless the fee is paid.  You would get that fee by using the request money option on the reservation.  Of course someone could use the sofa bed to sleep on without the benefit of linens and you would not be in control of that.

If your listing can accept up to 4 guests, the search function would allow it to be seen by travelers seeking a place for 1 - 4 guests.  You might want to consider the impact on adding extra fees, such as a linen fee, on the guest experience of your home.  Hope this helps a bit.  Good luck!!

Samaya0
Level 2
Bristol, United Kingdom

Thank you so much - I will edit my listing now, 🙂 samaya

@Linda108

I have a price set fot two, and then charge for each additional guest little amount. I have 3 rooms, 2 of them are bedrooms - one with kingsize bed, the other with 2 single beds.

Too often there are 2 guests wanting to sleep in different beds in different rooms. I am not having a cleening fee, but when 2 are in 2 rooms I would rather charge - but cannot. And twice I had a booking for 2, informing me that they are waiting a third person after some days - I prepare bed and linen for him, but they refuse to add paying for him after he turns up in the flat.

So - CAN I press - Request money - and when - at the booking period or after, when really the 3-rd person arrives and what about the second case - can I request money after the couple is informing me before their arrival that they would like to sleep in different beds in different rooms or I should press Request money after their arrival. And as I do not have a cleening fee - how I can set how much I request - as a third person?  

And  - can I request money for things I provide as extra - like a garage cage with a key in a non-parking area of the town?

@Lilly28  I suggest you look at my listing as I think you have a similar situation and you might find how I handle the extra charges possible for you.  I do have a small cleaning fee which is really meant to discourage single nights since the fee applies the same whether it is a single night or a week.

If you are going to request money that is  not already posted in your listing, you need for the guest to agree to the fee and approve the charge.  If they don't then you need to go through the Resolution Center and Air BNB will decide if the charge can be taken.  You should have a security deposit if you do not already have one.  

You can make the request either before or after check in.  If before, it will be included in your payout, while if after check in, you will get a separate payout.  If a third guest shows up, you should not allow into the premises without getting the guest agreement to pay the extra guest fee.   Hope this helps.  Linda

@Linda108

Thanks! Linda, thanks! I am giving too much free - but I decided to leave it as it is for only one month only and then I hope your advices will help me - Going to Res Center and then Request payment. O.K.?

Sounds like a plan.  Make sure to message your guest regarding what you are doing so Air BNB can see your communication.

Shaun82
Level 2
Maple Ridge, Canada

I just had a guest arrive who just booked  it for themselves but they have somebody with them. I was definitely not told about it and a bit of a surprise. I charge $7 per extra guest and they are here for 2 nights, what do I do? I don’t want to make a big deal about it but I’m new to this and want to know how to handle this appropriately in the future.

I have been having the same problem.

More often then not, I have couples book one of my rooms as just one person. 

I don't know if this is an oversight or an intentional attempt to cheat me out of the extra guest fee.

Do I need to clarify this in my profile?  My rooms have a 2 person limit each (they are small with a queen size bed.)  

I have tried clarifying in my approval or pre-approval, but I am afraid I might offend people. 

Any thoughts?

You can ask the guest to alter his reservation to add additional guest in the reservation. If he is reluctant to do so, you still can collect the extra fee through Send or Request Money option in the InBox.