Extra services

Olga133
Level 1
Belgium

Extra services

Hi,

Is it possible for a guest to make a payment to the host voluntarily, so without me ( the host) sending him a request for it.  If so is there a maximum or minimum amount and will airbnb charge a fee for this.  I can't figure this out myself since i can only go on the resolution center as a host and not as a guest. Apparently, as a host i could only sent an amount that is no bigger then the original payment, is there such a limitation from the other side as well ?

7 Replies 7
Gerry-And-Rashid0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Olga133

I can can only answer part of your question: there is no service fee charged on transactions via the resolution centre.

thx

Clare0
Level 10
Templeton, CA

@Olga133 The answer to your question depends on the situation.  Why does your guest need to send more money?  Does it relate to the reservation and, if so, is the reservation in progress or is it yet to come? Or are you requesting payment for an additional service like a pet fee? Give us the specifics and we can give you more accurate answers.  🙂

Hi thanks for your reply.  Actually i would like to provide some items in the pantry and some other usefull stuff in the apartment i host, part of it which i'd provide freely and for some other items i would like to offer the guest the opportunity to pay. 

@Olga133 Glad you clarified what you are asking.  First, you will need to describe the items you charge for in your listing.  For example, "I offer a bottle of wine for an additional cost of $xx". 

Since you have Instant Book enabled, the guest's payment method will be charged immediately.  You still can message the guest and ask if they want the additional item:  "Would you like a bottle of wine for $XX?"  If the guest says yes, then you can go to the reservation and make a change (alteration) to increase the price to include the additional service.   The guest will have to accept it so it is important that the guest answer your question affirmatively. 

I would do this when the guest books, not during their stay.  Why? Because once the reservation has started and you have been paid, any additional requests for payment would have to go through the Resolution Center.  In these cases a guest can decline to pay and the issue would have to go to Airbnb for mediation which can be a hassle. 

Here are some relevant links to help you with this: 

https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/50/i-m-a-host--how-do-i-make-a-change-to-a-confirmed-reservation

https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/767/what-is-the-resolution-center

Also, Olga, I noticed that you have 2 listings where the cover photos and titles are identical.  I would recommend that you change one of the listing's cover photos and the title so as not to confuse yourself and guests about which listing they booked.  One .could even be #1 and the other #2.

I hope this helps!

Clare

Hi, thank you very much.  My question concerned the resolution center all along. It seems like a real easy way for the guest to sent money if he wishes to do so.  I, as a host for exemple can send money to all my guests of the last 60 days with two clicks, real easy, but limited to the amount of the reservation.... So since I didn't use Airbnb as a guest within the last 60 days, I can't check out this from the guest-side of the website. So i am still wandering if my guest will be able sent money without me specifically requesting for it ?  And are there maybe other limitations ?  Note that I don't really mind if a guest would "forget" to pay for some items.  I see it more as a possibility to offer an extra service and by offering the guest a way of contributing I can offer the service without having to raise the overall price of my listing because of the extra cost.  I could, you see also put a jar in the apartment, but that would involve cash, change etc..., i also trust my guests more than the different service providers who go through the apartment in a month/years time.

@Olga133 Yes, guests can send you money anytime through the Resolution Center, but unless you inform them how to do it, many will not know how to use it. 

I suspect that there will be a certain number that will either forget to pay you, not know how or will just decide to skip it.  Give it a try and see what happens!