Feeling pretty let down by Airbnb - once I was a strong advocate, please help!

Helen104
Level 1
North Petherton, United Kingdom

Feeling pretty let down by Airbnb - once I was a strong advocate, please help!

I have hosted and stayed with hosts, and loved Airbnb, now for the second time I'm the victim of hosts who do not have permission to host - and the impact is very real and very expensive - and what's worse, I cannot get in contact with airbnb.  I have been going round in circles with their various drop down menu options...please can someone give me an email or phone contact - feeling very frustrated and abandonned.  The cost is both in time and lots of money!!

Thank you!

9 Replies 9
Jim-and-Marcia0
Level 10
Vancouver, WA

Just googled "Airbnb telephone number" and this is what pops up. I've called Aibnb many times and they have been responsive to my needs. Some representatives are better than others, so if you aren't getting what you need, call again.

From the internet:

We try to keep our phone lines open for guests and hosts with urgent situations. Please reach out to us via email if possible.

+1-415-800-5959.     +1-855-424-7262 (toll-free)

Clare0
Level 10
Templeton, CA

@Helen104 Click on the link below to see all the ways to get in touch with Airbnb.  Since you are in the UK, the support phone number is

+44 203 318 1111

Hope this helps!

Elle8
Level 1
Upper Arlington, OH

Im planning on travelin for 2 weeks across the US and to Europe- what items as a traveler could I be held accountable for if my host does not have permissions? You mentioned it cost you- what are we talking? How do I know if they have permission or not?

@Elle8 When users create an account with Airbnb, they must agree to Airbnb's Terms of Service.  For a host, when they agree to the TOS, they are agreeing to abide by all third party agreements which include landlord / tenant leases, governmental regulations and condo HOA rules  

That doesn't mean that there aren't some hosts out there that are disregarding this contract.  My advice, if you are travelling to an area where the governmental regulations are hazy, or, if you are considering renting an apartment or condo, ask the host point blank if they have all the necessary permits or permissions.  Use the Contact Host link so you are not tied to a Reservation Request. 

Hope this helps!  Clare

@Elle8,

In Paris there is 60.000 listings on STR platforms  (including Airbnb). 20.000 are secondary houses and need to register to be legal. Only 126 are officially registered so at least 19.874 are illegal.

In my little French town there is more than 300 listings on airbnb and only 100 are legal...

The only way is to do as Clare suggest: ask hosts about and trust them since no license is asked by any platform.

Deb29
Level 9
San Mateo, CA

@Helen0

It's a shame that people see $$ and take advantage by renting out rooms and homes without having permission.

If you are concerned, you may want to ask hosts if they are owners. Then you know they are allowed. If not, then ask if they have permission. Most people wouldn't outright lie, they may just shy away from renting to you, which is what you want if they don't have permission anyway.

Deb

@Deb29,

In most European countries being the owner don't give you an automatical permission to rent on Airbnb.

You could be a tenant renting legally or an owner renting illegally.

@Olivier0

Interesting. I'd love to learn more about that. Can you please give an example or two about both scenarios please?

@Deb29,

In France for example:

- being the owner you can rent any place less than 120 days per year legally (there is some exceptions). If you want to rent more you need a license. Many airbnb hosts don't have it, are illegal, and so as a guest you could be waked up at 6:00 pm by an inspector doing an investigation and the owner obliged to stop it immediately and to cancel all reservations.

- being a tenant, if your contract had been done after 2014 you can rent legally on Airbnb since you have the authorization of your landlord and since you don't get monthly more than your rent. If your contract have been done before 2014 you are automatically illegal, could be evicted and sued for a 25.000€ fine.

Each country have his own laws and regulations, and in one country things could be very different.