Getting a £100 key deposit back from host when Air BnB have closed the case two weeks later. Host agrees deposit should be repaid, but gone silent on Air BnB.

Damian-and-Veronique0
Level 1
London, United Kingdom

Getting a £100 key deposit back from host when Air BnB have closed the case two weeks later. Host agrees deposit should be repaid, but gone silent on Air BnB.

It's two weeks since I returned a key for which I was charged £100 security deposit and paid through Air BnB.

The host didn't reply to my request for the refund, so I asked Air BnB what the procedure was.

They contacted him and he said he would repay it.

They've repeatedly followed it up

but after giving him one final deadline to repay have now closed the case after his phone went to voicemail.

And of course the host doesn't respond to me.

When I booked the host requested a £100 deposit for the key because in the short time he's been hosting (since July)two guests apparently have not returned the key.

I subsequently found out in his profile it should have been for £50, not £100.

My three night stay cost £101, which was great value.

But my great staycation in Lowestoft looking at Banksys is leaving me burnt.

My question is if I take this to the small claims court to recover my money should I name Air BnB who took the money through their system or the host.

Any other suggestions are welcome.

Damian ( a joint super host)

3 Replies 3
Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Damian-and-Veronique0 I think I would just go after the host rather than Airbnb. Perhaps one last message warning him that you will take action in 48 hours if the money is not returned to you. Lets hope he realises how easy it is to go to the small claims court.

Hi

I had a response from Airbnb following my post and I'm now not sure if they are still following this up.

They've not replied to my query so I'm in a bit of a limbo.

Would you know if the key deposit is classified as a security deposit and held by Airbnb or if the money is requested by the host it goes directly into their bank account?

Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Damian-and-Veronique0 Given that Airbnb don't actually take deposits I am 99% certain that the resolution money has gone staring to the host's bank account.