Guest asking to book outside of Airbnb

Natasha55
Level 2
Toronto, Canada

Guest asking to book outside of Airbnb

Hello!

I had a guest text me after he stayed asking if he could pay cash for a few nights a month (for him and his "girlfriend..." who stay for 5 hours and leave beofre midnight). I said no I only use Airbnb. The problem is I gave him a decent review and now I wish to change it. He said he had this "arrangement" with someone else on Airbnb but they were unavailable for a few months. Completely un-cool in my books.

The other thing that bugs me is he gave me a low rating after I said no and wrote a review that says "K". WHat does that even mean?? I want to report him but none of the flag options include reporting of this nature so far as I can tell. Is this a live and learn situation? Help and guidance would be much appreciated. Thanks community!

4 Replies 4
Ali40
Level 10
Crozet, VA

You can't go back and change your review and since it was based on your experience of when he stayed, you shouldn't change it. However you should report the user with the little flag on his profile AND contact Airbnb and report what happened after he check out.  

Provide screen shots of his inappropriate text request and the original reservation confirmation number. 

Here are 3 possible ways to contact Airbnb:

1. Airbnb Community Experts
  2. Twitter Direct Message @Airbnbhelp
  3. Calling Airbnb

1. Contacting Airbnb's Community Experts

The easiest and quickest way to get answers to any issues is through contacting Airbnb's Community Experts at www.airbnb.ca/help/contact_us

From the bottom of the screen, choose either "My question is about something else" or "I have a different issue"

Follow the prompts to figure out what best describes your issues. Some things you choose will take you to specific information whereas others you can fill in the text box and submit your question.

If you submit a question, you can expect an answer back from a Community Expert quickly. If the Community Expert cannot help you, they can re-route your issue to Airbnb who will then contact you. Community Experts do not have access to your account information so if it is a question that can only be answered with account information, they will re-route you automatically. Community Experts are available 24/7.

1. Contacting Airbnb Via Twitter

The easiest way to contact Airbnb regarding any issues I have is by using Twitter. I usually hear back from them within 24 hours of sending a direct message .

Search for @Airbnbhelp and choose "Follow" them (you have to “foolow them to send a direct message)

Send a Direct Message (DM) explaining your issue and wait for their response. Include the email address associated with your Airbnb account and the reservation confirmation code if your issue involves a specific reservation, host or guest. Don’t “tweet” any of this info – use direct message so it’s not public.

1. Calling Airbnb's Customer Experience Line

***Please note that these phone numbers and any numbers below are meant for URGENT MATTERS so it is best to use the above two methods first***

Here are the phone numbers for Airbnb. If the area where you are hosting is not listed, check out the two ways below this list in order to find their number for your area.

United States and Canada +1-415-800-5959

+1-855-424-7262 (toll-free)

Sharon64
Level 10
Tampa, FL

I had a woman send me a request via the platform and asked to cut Airbnb out. I denied her request and not feeling comfortable. Then I called Airbnb and reported her. So, I would call and report this guy and also while you are on the phone explain what happened and perhaps Airbnb will remove the negative review. Worth a shot.

MaryJane8
Level 2
Bristol, United Kingdom

Hi - this is obviously a problem, I have only been hosting for 5 weeks but have been asked by three guests for extra nights or next booking excluding Airbnb.  I have declined all and just advised to book through Airbnb cos it's easier for me.  However this resulted in one of the guests giving me a lower rating for value for money and communication- which I would normally just suck it up, however as I only have a few reviews it does have a dramatic effect on my ratings.  I gather there is nothing I can do - this seems a little unfair and I am penalised for backing Airbnb!!!  Still I am enjoying being a host

People get my business card and people who have stayed with me beofre often contact me direct, often I do not recollect the basis they stayed with me before.

Your business, you decide how you wish to do business.

If people first contact me though ABB then I use ABB for that booking, plus and minuses. Have been burned a couple of times with late direct cancellations. But also burned by Extenuating Circumstances so not sure if there is any real difference.

David