Guest checking out one day early due to rainy weather.

Answered!
Donn-And-Vicki0
Level 2
Conewango Valley, NY

Guest checking out one day early due to rainy weather.

Hi all, 

We have a guest who booked 5 nights. On the morning of their last nights stay; they decided to leave one night early because the weather forecasted was for rain.  I am conflicted on wether or not to issue a refund for the last night.  
I do not want a bad review but we also made special accommodations  for this guest who did 2 reservation changes after original booking, informed us that she wanted all bed and bath linens etc. washed in fragrance free detergent and any candles or fragrant items removed from the cottage due to sensitivity.   Which we did.   Would a  50% refund for the last nigh be reasonable?  Thank you! 

1 Best Answer
Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

There's absolutely no reason to refund at all in these circumstances. @Donn-And-Vicki0 

View Best Answer in original post

10 Replies 10
Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

There's absolutely no reason to refund at all in these circumstances. @Donn-And-Vicki0 

I thank you for your response..   I agree, their choice to leave a day early had nothing to do with their accommodations, as she specifically stated it was weather related. 😉

Brian2036
Level 10
Arkansas, United States

@Donn-And-Vicki0 

NO WAY these people should be offered any refund and the fact that they have the nerve to ask is insulting.

The “special accommodations” and schedule changes were both inconsiderate demands and this definitely deserves a “would not host again” notation.

Brian the “special accommodations” were in essence a disability accommodation. Fragrance sensitivity that “substantially limits one or more major life activity”  is considered by the ADA a disability. As long as Airbnb only focuses on mobility issues as their definition of disability in relation to their non discrimination policy there will continue to be misunderstandings among you hosts as to your perception of a guest requesting special fragrance free accommodations. @Brian2036 

Donn-And-Vicki0
Level 2
Conewango Valley, NY

After seeing the way they left our Cottage I am hesitant to leave a review for this stay.
We have nothing but 5 star reviews from

40 guest stays and super host status. I feel that this woman likes everything her way which is a bit bizarre to say the least. The Airbnb account is in her boyfriends name but she made the reservation, she sent several messages with her special requests and even a phone call prior to their arrival. They arrived separately.
I spoke to him upon his arrival and he seemed very “normal.”
She or they,  removed the few fall decor items I had on the kitchen table,bed room table and bathroom and left them in a pile on a bench. Took items from one room to another and left them in odd places. 

I’ve never seen anything like it. 😮  I feel that she is used to nit picking and special treatment in an attempt to get a refund. I feel that she already intends to leave a less than acceptable review even after accommodating all her special requests. She doesn’t seem to care because the account is in her boyfriends name. Prior to their check out should they not have attempted to put things back and leave the Cottage the way they found it?  Nothing was left filthy or broken etc.;  just not the way any of our prior guests have left.  Ugghhh…  

@Donn-And-Vicki0 

Yes, they should have left it the way they found it.

It’s your house, not theirs, and if they don’t like it they don’t have to come back.

I expect you hope that they don’t.

Whomever paid for the booking was responsible for the disorder and deserves the review they get.

Linda108
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

Unanimous agreement: no refund due.  Develop a thick skin against the unreasonable guest and  do not become a slave to trying to ensure a 5 rating review.  Just be your best host self.  Should you get a negative or less than stunning review, you can always respond in a professional way to the review.  Do not get stuck on maintaining SH status.  It will come and go over the years and not make much difference to your business.  

Thank you so much. This was the best advice yet! 

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Donn-And-Vicki0  Why would you not leave a review? You should always review your guests.

There is nothing especially wrong with a guest moving small things that are in their way. No offense meant, but looking at your photo gallery, I would suggest you resist the urge to overdecorate. 

Guests do not appreciate every surface covered in knicknacks and purely decorative items. You may think it's cute, but it looks quite unnecessarily cluttered to me and I would be inclined to move all that stuff myself. 

Gordon0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

We wouldn't make a penny [dime] in the UK if people could curtail/cancel their bookings due to weather. No, just no.