Guest is unhappy after he checked out

Paget0
Level 1
Oakland, CA

Guest is unhappy after he checked out

A guest and his two co-workers just stayed at my place.  This evening, he sent me a message that while he loved the location of the place, the bed had a bad smell that prevented him from sleeping well.  After investigation, he said one of the pillows and one of the blankets had an odor though the sheets were clean. He also said that a hotel would have refunded his money.

Certainly I want him to be happy and am not happy that his sleep was poor, but I'm not sure what to do.

I wish he had said something during his five nights at my place.  I did check in with him during his stay but didn't receive a response (we had communicated through Airbnb messenger a number of times, so I know he received my messages).  

Today, I did wash the blanket he mentioned but didn't notice any particular smell when I was putting it in the washing machine.  (I also didn't search for the smell as I didn't receive his message until after the fact.)

Does Airbnb have a police around this?  Any suggestions about what I should do?  

3 Replies 3
Oomesh-Kumarsingh0
Level 10
Pamplemousses, Mauritius

@Paget0 Remember one thing about this business you never will be able to 100% satisfy all your guests on Airbnb. Concering the pillows and the blankets as well as the sheets always wash them before a guest will checkin and use a dehumidifier and a perfume diffuser in the bedroom this will always keep the room fresh. Good luck!!!

Jess21
Level 10
Austin, TX

Nooope. Scamming for a refund. If he hadn't slept for 5 days you would have known about it before checkout. Let him try for a refund through Airbnb but stand your ground. 

@Paget0

I totally agree with @Jess21 that the guest is totally trying to scam you for a refund. If there really was a bad smell or stink coming from the bedding what sane person would try to sleep there?????

And why suffer in silence for 5 whole nights? I would be clear that if the guest had said something during his stay, you would have done your job as a host to remedy the situation. But it's hard to understand where this SUDDEN complaint is coming from after having absolutely no complaints throughout his stay. And it sounds like he should stick to hotels next time 🙂 

He did not say anything during his stay simply because he had no complaints during his stay. Ignore him.