Guest not wanting to pay for children

Answered!
Tammy84
Level 2
Oklahoma, United States

Guest not wanting to pay for children

I have a bunkhouse that is children friendly and love having kids come.

My listing states after 4 guest the charge is $10 per person but I have people wanting to bring children and not pay for them.

I have given in to infants but kids are just like adults they sleep in the beds. 

Any suggestions on how to word my listing.

I had a couple ask if it would be cheeper if they brought there own blankets and pillows. Really? I wash the sheets after every guest. 

I understand people want a deal but I think Im pretty fair with my pricing.

1 Best Answer
Lawrene0
Level 10
Florence, Canada

I don't think you need to say anything on your listing, @Tammy84. You could try something like "kids are people, too, and count as guests" but the people who want a free ride will still try to talk you into the free ride. It is the same as the people asking about bringing their own bedding. You can say no to that the same way hostels do.

You are fair with your pricing and you are absolutely allowed to stick to it. Stay firm. If they don't like it, they don't have to come. An unusual listing gives you a bit of leverage that way. 

View Best Answer in original post

7 Replies 7
Cynthia-and-Chris1
Level 10
Vancouver, WA

@Tammy84 Just refer them to Airbnb’s Policy. Infants under 2 aren’t counted or charged as additional guests and children 2-17 are counted and charged as additional guests. 

Lawrene0
Level 10
Florence, Canada

I don't think you need to say anything on your listing, @Tammy84. You could try something like "kids are people, too, and count as guests" but the people who want a free ride will still try to talk you into the free ride. It is the same as the people asking about bringing their own bedding. You can say no to that the same way hostels do.

You are fair with your pricing and you are absolutely allowed to stick to it. Stay firm. If they don't like it, they don't have to come. An unusual listing gives you a bit of leverage that way. 

Rene-and-Zac0
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

@Tammy84 I had a guest try to haggle the cleaning fee with me. I asked ‘ who is going to clean the house?’ And they said ‘we are very clean people’. Pfffffftttttttttttttt ! Yeah right! Anytime someone has to tell you they are something, clean, humble, honest or whatever, keep your eye on them. 

I said ‘ I have a great idea, I’ll tell the housekeeper not to clean the house before your arrival and then I can waive the cleaning fee for you’.

They agreed to the cleaning fee.

Now any potential guest that ask for any kind of discount or suggest some nit wit idea about how I can save them money, I cut them off.

They are NOT staying at my listing.

They will nickel and dime you to death and they are the most brutal in reviews.

It only took me once to learn that lesson and hopefully you can learn from my mistake.

In the spirit of Star Wars, ‘These are not the guest you are looking for’. 

Tammy84
Level 2
Oklahoma, United States

I was looking for a way to word it without being rude.

Thank you!

@Tammy84   I would suggest simply telling them that you are unable to offer discounts for children. Short and to the point. I say that as I have found that more expansive explanations have a way of opening up pandora's box if they do end up accepting your set price as is.

There should be charge for children because from my experience guests with children sometimes make and leave most mess.

I agree with you and hold the line.  Children and especially BABIES should absoutely be counted as a guest...  They make far more noise and the diapers stink, so they should pay the small extra charge and not be allowed to skate.