Guest receiving mail

Guest receiving mail

Hi everyone.  I am fairly new to the Airbnb community.  I only began this venture July 2017.  Well, here is the latest regarding guest receiving mail at the property! 

My guest booked 3 people for 19 days.  Now at week 2, he/she has gone to the SSA, applied for social security cards (using my address) and having registered mail of those documents sent to my home.   Now  you may ask, how I discovered this?  As fate would have it.  I was around to intercept the mail and there were 2 pieces of mail from the SSA containing social security cards.  No, I did not open them, because that would be illegal.  However, I have much experience in how the documents look through the window envelope.   I was shocked!  As of this morning, I reported the incident to Airbnb representatives.  I was told that there is no precedent for this type of incident.  So, as of now, I am awaiting further instructions.   

I have thought of physically walking the mail back to the SSA along with my ownership paperwork.  Does anyone have any suggestions?  They are there for another week.  

Sheila

15 Replies 15
Linda108
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

Your guests are not tenants, @Sheila175, and do not have the rights of a tenant.  They cannot use the address as their own.  Send a message via Air BNB message system that your address is not to be given out to ANYONE, period and you will return anything addresssed to them.  Do not accept mail or packages.  Return to sender, including SSA.  You might suggest they cancel their reservation and relocate.

You are probably aware that  getting mail at an address can be used to establish residency or eligibility for benefits. 

Thanks for the prompt response, @Linda108!  I have no idea of their intent!  However, I do know when something smells fishy.  And this one has all the signs of something fishy.  

For starters, he booked over 1 month ago as 3 adults from out of the country who are coming to L.A. to sightsee.  For the past 1.5 weeks that they have been in the house, I have not seen anyone.  Nor have I seen a car in the provided driveway.   Mind you, I have outside surveillance and periodically view it remotely.  I also reside in the separate guest studio behind the Airbnb property and come and go at least twice daily.  There is absolutely no indication that a vacationing family is there.  I do know that someone is there, since I do sometimes see lights on and blinds/curtains open.  Other than that, nothing!     

I was advised by ICE to notify SSA hotline which I will gladly do, but I am not sure of whether to say anything since I live on site and they still have 6 days left.  

Wow, @Sheila175, you are in an uncomfortable situation!  Unless you are planning to ask the guest to leave, keep a low profile and make sure you get the mail before they do.  I would imagine, SSA will want to recoup the SS cards unless they deem their application is legitimate.  If these guests have a work visa and are renting long term, it is legitimate for them to seek SS card.  This is not your call but since they were not honest with you, I can understand your concerns.

I suggest you do not book reservations over 29 days so you are not caught in the tenant rights issues.  Short term is a better position for hosts.

Keep us posted as to what happens and take care.

Linda

@Linda108-As of yesterday, the guest is now gone.  He had the nerve to request a 1 week extension!  My guess is that he is expecting additional mail.   Of course, I declined his request.   Airbnb contacted me 2 days ago.  They wanted my permission to reach out to him, but I said no, since I reside on the property and knew his time was nearly over. 

Thanks for sharing your knowledge with the rest of us.  The tip on the length of stay, I am well aware of because I am a licensed real estate broker here in CA.  

Keep it coming.....

Sheila

@Sheila175 plz check your inbox, the community center inbox, not regular host inbox. - J

Jason146
Level 2
New York, NY

Hello @Sheila175 you are not the only one in this situation! I am glad I did a search before posting a new topic conversation. Please keep this thread updated with how your situation works out.  

I am a superhost in Brooklyn, NY and just hosted guests from the Ukraine for about a week. Instant book, two guests on the reservation, husband and wife, they arrived with a third, an infant unannounced, (small children are a NO on my preferences and house rules) but I didn't complain. Take care of your baby, keep the noise down, no sweat. A day or two into their stay, packages arrived from UPS - Amazon, Walmart, Amazon again, I would prefer guests ask to receive items at my home, but I don't make a big deal, I can understand when they do, especially international guests. I place their parcels in front their room door and said nothing. They had inquired about extending their stay but I only had one additional night open for their room until new guests arrived. They declined to add the 1 night, and checked out after their 6 night booking. The night before check out he asked if I knew where he could print some documents. I will usually print items for guests, concerts, sports games, Broadway tickets, but I knew something was different, I asked him, what does he need printed and how much? He said, "insurance documents, a few pages." That sounded like a lot to me and I wasn't inclined to print a ton of documents on my home printer so I directed them to a print kiosk in the neighborhood. Here we are a week later, I get a message from the husband saying they opened a bank account using my address and inquiring did I receive the cards - he apologized for not asking beforehand stating he didn’t know they would send the cards to my home. I checked yesterday and nothing, today, two pieces of mail arrived addressed to both of them from Geico insurance. I haven't opened them, because as you mentioned, it's illegal to open someone else's mail - but I'm like, uh, at my own house? There's got to be some exceptions around this law. And if they opened a bank account, why are they getting Geico insurance papers at my place? Is this what he meant or are there additional documents to come? I don't feel like dealing with ICE or SSA or Homeland Security or whoever to get these people, I have half a mind to just tell him the documents never came and do not host him again. 

Despite what Airbnb told you Sheila I cannot imagine your situation is the first time someone would try this on their platform. Airbnb employees system wide appear to be young, bright, inexperienced, well intentioned people who don't exactly have it together with regard to sharing information across their platform and communicating up the ladder to establish an overall fixed protocol. This type of thing should have a process in place for hosts to report this type of abuses and then Airbnb handle from there. It's a shame to have individual hosts contacting ICE and Homeland Security to address on an ad-hoc basis. I will follow up with my Airbnb local neighborhood rep and see what he says to do, but I'm sure like your support rep said, it will be his first time hearing of anything like this and he'll look into it. Ugh, these are pains of new companies and new platforms like this. They haven't seen anything in this world, I'm sure Hyatt and Marriot know how to deal with someone trying to book an extended stay at their properties to use as a residence for immigration, but apparently it never crossed Airbnb's mind that someone would try this in a host's home? How could they be so blind. Good luck with your situation, I'll keep you updated on mine.

I travel for business and get long term stays.  I work with the sales rep for the hotel.  After 30 days I get refunded the part of the taxes.  I do and can send packages to my hotel.  When i went to Canada for a client, I went to the pharmacy and asked for their Tylenol-1.  You have to give an address, and since I wasn't a citizen, I had to give them my hotel address..  It was defintely not included in their laws, as the pharmacy clerk said she never heard me say anything about where I was staying.

Here is where you can find a sanction list of business and people you can't do business with.  If you do, there is a possiblity that you could end up in jail.  This website is easy to use and free.  Financial Sanctions:

https://www.treasury.gov/resource-center/sanctions/SDN-List/Pages/default.aspx

Thanks for this list @Dawn162 but I think the issue @Sheila175 and I had was a bit different from what you're talking about. When I mentioned hotels as an example, I was talking about someone using it as a US address to establish residency. And with regards to sanctioned people, that's an extensive list. I'm going to operate as though AirBNB is using that list when they choose to verify guests. I as a host surely cannot be expected to cross reference that list for every guest who inquires, and in reality, guests are doing business with Airbnb, and I am doing business between Airbnb, so it would be Airbnb not the host held liable if the interaction were with someone on that list. Thanks for the information however.

@Jason146- This situation has been terrible!  Mostly, because I live in the guest studio in back.   This guest was receiving mail addressed to my listing without my permission, mind you.   And he even requested an additional weeks stay!  My guess is that he is expecting additonal mail and had not received all expected at that point.  

I notified SSA as instructed and gave my account of the guest situation.  SSA did not like this at all!  They have noted the info in their reports for future reference if necessary.  SSA is sending a return mailing envelope so that I can return the mail to them.   The bank card will be hand delivered to the local card company of issue.  Any additional mail received after the guest has checked out will be returned to sender as well.  You are correct in not forwarding anything to your guests.   Do return all to sender.  I do NOT knowingly plan to accept another booking from this person!  

I am glad that we have this forum in order to share experiences and suggestions.  Good luck!

Sheila

Clara116
Level 10
Pensacola, FL

@Sheila175 CAREFUL People out there.............in florida after 14 days a person has rights as a tenant. AND we have to have them evicted if they decide to just stay. SO I do not rent longer than 12 nights. 

Your story sounds very scarey. And very illegal. Is your wifi very secure? These folks might be up to really NO good.  Take photos of all documents coming to your mailing address just incase! I would take the SSI papers to the office, report this and any mail coming make sure and get it and mark in BOLD letters - Addresse UNKnown  NOT LIVING at this address! I would also go to your post office and speak to a supervisor and alert them. Call Airbnb and speak to a supervisor and if you don't get someone that can talk to you about this ask for their boss. This is not to be taken lightly. Do they keys, or a keypad code - I would just be very cautious and I will hope for the best on your part.

Best Regards and happy hosting, Clara

@Clara116-Thanks guys!  Your suggestion is just what the SSA representativies suggested I do.  In fact, they are sending the return envelopes to me so that I can send back the mail from there administration.  So, if the guest was "up to no good", he will need to start over elsewhere.   LOLOL....

Here in CA, the tenant rights kick in at 30 days!

So now guys, please offer suggestions on how the review of this guest should read.  I want to highlight that he had mail delivered, but without creating any need for him to return to my home uninvited.  I will, for sure, show the mail aspect of this incident in the area seen only by Airbnb eventhough, they already know.

Thanks

Linda108
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

One thing about this business is that your world is expanded, @Sheila175 :D.  Perhaps you were not looking for that, but what the heck!  As for a review, thumbs down is appropriate. No further explanation needed. Also you should flag the profile so Air BNB can take action.  

These people may mean no harm but they were not honest with you.  

Take care! Glad you came to the host forum.  We all learned something.

Linda

Clara116
Level 10
Pensacola, FL

@Sheila175 glad you are getting it all squared away and these guest have departed. About a review. I don't know if I would publically write about everything - BUT, I would give a thumbs down  1 star and maybe say - something about them not following AIRBNB MAJOR GUEST RULES for staying with any host. "They would be much better suited in a HOTEL setting" or something like that. That way hosts will know NOT to take this booking cause we would know a deal breaker with these folks. I certainly wouldn't book em even if I knew nothing except the warning.

Cause some host might not even realize the possible danger behind using your mailing address!

Sheila that's my 3 cents worth. Happy Hosting, Clara