Guest refund

Stella26
Level 1
Rochdale, United Kingdom

Guest refund

Hi, we are new to hosting, we have just had a booking from Magda, who books her workers accommodation, the original booking was for 7 nights, so we issued a special offer of £30.00 per room (room only) Guests arrived, stayed 3 nights in total, but she cancelled the remainder, I assume that we will now have to refund her for the 4 nights they didnt stay ?, (we have already been paid) .... she has done this to other hosts in the past, ... 

7 Replies 7
James1
Level 10
SF, CA

This has become a common ploy to get a bargain rate. After five years of hosting I offer NO discounts.

Karyo0
Level 4
Manchester, United Kingdom

It is not offering the discount in this case that is the problem, It is the guest expecting a refund on unused days. Discounts are quite acceptable - refunds are not!

Marit-Anne0
Level 10
Bergen, Norway

Whatever she is owed by cancelling will come from airbnb in line with your cancellation policy.  You should do nothing.  

David126
Level 10
Como, CO

What is your cancellation policy, sounds like you need to review. Agree that discounts just seem to invite issues.

David
Robert78
Level 10
Suzhou, China

Why are you accepting third party bookings? It's not allowed by Airbnb.

Karyo0
Level 4

I never understood this poicy, we often get 3rd party bookings as most big companies , theatres, universities will have departments that book on behalf of thier collegues

Karyo0
Level 4

Do not offer any refund - This is the joy of airbnb handling the payments .  Just explain to the guest that, as the booking has been confirmed for the longer period then it is not your fault that they decided to leave early. In any case any refund would have to be via airbnb as you, as a host do not handle payments.

We consider early leavers and/or no showers as a bonus!

If guests want to cancel a reasonable time before their arrival airbnb will ask you if you are happy to refund any amount as a gesture of goodwill - tell them only if you are able to re book the dates.