Guest repeatedly altering dates during stay

Guest repeatedly altering dates during stay

I am fairly new to hosting and am currently hosting my 4th guest. She has altered the dates 5 times in her 9 day stay, resulting in the suite sitting empty for 2 weekends. We've had a couple of issues with the family wanting to use our hot tub (family use only and it's not included in the listing) and using the yard area which is gated and also not in the listing as our dog uses it for potty. I'm really struggling with a review - she has been polite, fairly quiet and clean, however I'm quite upset with the date changes. I did vet her before accepting her original request and she has glowing reviews otherwise.

2 Replies 2
Colleen253
Level 10
Alberta, Canada

@Karen2882 You are under no obligation to accept date changes. Next time just say no.

As to the review, mention any positives first, then "was disorganized, requesting many changes to booking dates, and had difficulty following our rules", or something along those lines, as fits. 

What was her initial communication like? There must  have been some red flag somewhere. Good reviews don't always tell the true story, since many hosts have difficulty leaving a truthful review.

She did alter her dates once before arriving and I accepted as the Covid restrictions had just tightened up again.

So if I decline a request will the suite still show as occupied after the guest has left early? And I will receive the full amount for the entire stay?

I did change my cancellation policy from flexible to moderate. I guess this is a big "lesson learned" opportunity.