Guest wants more than moderate refund

Samantha14
Level 2
Dallas, TX

Guest wants more than moderate refund

Hey all,

I had a guest book for two months.  After one night she messaged me and let me know she had an unexpected allergic reaction to our pets and would not be staying.  She apologized and noted that she would honor our moderate refund policy.

A couple of hours later she messaged me through airbnb about how to cancel.  In the same message she said she wanted to let me know "the animal odor in my house is strong".

I told her I was very sorry if she was uncomfortable with the animals, and I had never heard a complaint as such before.  I've had over 20 successul trips and am a SuperHost x2...and no one has mentioned my animals having an odor, or their being allergic.

After cancelling, she was refunded half of the booking, per my moderate refund policy.  In another message she wrote later, requesting my mercy toward the refund...implying that I should refund more than the half promised due to her unexpected short stay.

My issue is: I did not misrepresent my home in any way.  It is noted in three places (profile, listing, and welcome email) that I have four furry critters sharing my home.  I expressly wrote before she booked to "please note I have four animals--incase you have any allergies".  She still booked.

I am fearful for any backlash or negative impression this would have on me with airbnb....I am simply following protocol but am I being harsh in not refunding her extra?  $800 some odd is a lot to pay for one night but I also lost out on TWO months of bookings in anticpation of her two month stay...so I need to make up my lost income.

Please offer your advice! Thank you!

2 Replies 2
Dave-and-Deb0
Level 10
Edmonton, Canada

Hi @Samantha14,

I would stick to your guns on this one.  One other option is you could offer to refund a portion IF you are able to book the dates she had booked.  I would not worry about "any backlash or negative impression" because since she cancelled, she cannot review you.

David

Superhost Ambassador ~ Host Club Community Leader ~ Community Expert ~ Experienced Co-Host

Sarah-and-Alex0
Level 10
Philadelphia, PA

Definitely hold firm (although if you can rebook and want to offer the guest a portion of what you've made back, that would probably leave everybody with a good feeling).  Even if your circumstances meant that you could forego the income, hosts rely on a community of guests who make plans thoughtfully, not who rush into a reservation without reading it.  If they don't have a good experience, my feeling is that these problem guests will migrate out of the Airbnb ecosystem.  All the best with it!