Guest with Emotional Support Animal

Leiloni0
Level 4
Murrieta, CA

Guest with Emotional Support Animal

Recently, my listing was booked for 38 days starting on November 3rd. I already gave a discount for booking over 30 days but the guest requested an additional discount which I gave. My listing has a very explicit no pets policy and the guest made no indication she might have or want to bring an animal.

This afternoon, I received a message from Support stating the guest reported having an Emotional Support Animal and wanted to know if she could bring it along. I stated I would reach out to the guest to discuss the ESA.

I reached out to the guest this evening and requested documentation for the support animal, a picture, asked some questions as to the size and temperament of said animal, care arrangements while the guest is working/in school and also asked if she would be willing to pay an additional deposit.  The guest promptly told me that it was illegal to ask for an additional deposit which I looked up and it was true—I apologized and dropped it. The guest then stated she couldn’t upload a pickof her dog so I  agreed to meet the dog and the guest tomorrow evening.

No more than a five minutes after I agreed to meet with the guest, I received a call from Support stating that the guest called and expressed concern that I requested documentation of her ESA and a deposit. I was told i was not allowed to discriminate by asking for documentation of disability. I stated that I am not exactly comfortable with an animal in my home as I am not a pet owner myself and I am concerned with pet damage, noise and possible disagreements with my neighbors over the animal.

I found the whole experience off-putting as all the guest had to do in the first place was be upfront about her ESA, but she chose to involve Support and then complained because I asked questions. 

The guest only has two reviews which are 4-Star and sparing in their verbiage so it’s hard to get a feel for the type of guest she is. 

Now, I am wondering whether or not to move forward with the reservation as I feel this guest has acted in a manipulative manner. I don’t want to risk 38 days of having to tip-toe around my own house for fear that she’ll report me to Support for something I may not be aware I am doing to offend. 

Asking for input.

Thank you. 

10 Replies 10
Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

This is a difficult situation for you @Leiloni0 

If you haven't done so already you read up on Airbnb's policy on assistance animals.

My understanding is that you can ask;- 

1. Whether the assistance animal is required because of a disability
  2. What work or task the animal has been trained to perform

Furthermore I would confirm with the guest that as an 'emotional assistance' animal, it will be with her at all times and not left at your listing by itself. You can also confirm that the animal is not to be allowed on furniture including beds.

You can ask airbnb to cancel the booking if the animal is not housebroken or it out of control.

Leiloni0
Level 4
Murrieta, CA

Thank you for you suggestions. 

Yadira22
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

Hi @Leiloni0 

I am so sorry that you are passing through this.

Based the below you are not legally allowed to ask for documentation regarding the dog but yes the person- try mentioning this to Airbnb and say that you are invoking your right under California’s fair employment and housing act. Reiterate that you have no concern about the animal and are happy to fulfil this reservation if this pans out. 

May not work but at least it’s a try, just make sure you make it about the person regardless of their emotional, physical etc characteristics- as to avoid being called out on being “discriminatory”.  

good luck to you 🙂

https://usserviceanimals.org/blog/emotional-support-animal-laws-in-california/https://usserviceanimals.org/blog/emotional-support-animal-laws-in-california/

Kaylee18
Level 10
Hamilton, Canada

@Leiloni0   I would make sure you make your house rules VERY clear to this person before she arrives with her dog. 

There have been others in this forum who have told stories about guests bringing an emotional support dog, and leaving the dog in the bedroom every time they went out. 

Protect yourself. Set house rules that involve having an animal in the house and if those rules are broken, let ABB know.

Hopefully things will turn around and be more positive when she arrives. 

Best of luck! 

Lisa723
Level 10
Quilcene, WA

@Leiloni0 please review:

https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/1869/what-is-an-assistance-animal

In your shoes, assuming you share the space and have your own pets, I would decline on the "health or safety" exemption. This guest sounds like Trouble

I don’t have any pets. Lease says no pets.

Mike-And-Helen0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Leiloni0 yep. I would decline on the grounds of your extreme allergy.

She does sound rude and entitled.

Helen427
Level 10
Auckland, New Zealand

@Leiloni0 @Mike-And-Helen0 @Lisa723 @Kaylee18 @Yadira22 @Helen3 

I appreciate it's your home @Leiloni0  however please put yourself in the shoes of the guest.

There are people everywhere who for whatever may not like dogs however all dogs are different.

Perhaps ask yourself if this was your mum or sister who was coming to stay who has the need for a Service animal 7 how they would feel.

Maybe the guest is been assertive rather than manipulative.

Unless one has walked in another person's shoes one doesn't know what discrimination/ challenges they have encountered prior to crossing one's path to be the way they are.

Approach it with an open mind.

You never know you may even come to like dogs and have an equally as enjoyable time with your guest.

All the best

Leiloni0
Level 4
Murrieta, CA

Thank you, everyone for your input. I had the meet and greet with the guest and her dog. The dog was lovely and very well behaved. I petted and played with the dog and she was appropriate. Throughout the visit, my allergies were triggered and progressively got worse until I was in a full coughing fit which prompted the guest to leave. 

Support called me Within a half hour of guest leaving and stated the guest had called in and reported my allergic reaction. Support asked if I would mutually agree to cancel the reservation. I agreed and the reservation will be cancelled without penalty to me. Support went on to state that I was a good host for trying with a meet and greet. 

Problem solved. Thanks Everyone!

Olivia437
Level 2
Crockett, CA

I’m glad this reservation was canceled!  It sounds like you dodged a bullet there.