Guests Smoking

Guests Smoking

Hi all ! I'm new to this Airbnb Hosting. I've recently had guests who smoked inside our apartment which is strictly against our House Rules. They even went as far as covering the smoke detector with a plastic bag and secure it with a rubber band. We had a keypad lock for the door, so we just find out about the cigarette odor fe hours after the guest checked out. So they checked out on 12 Oct and my next guest is on 13 Oct and they happen to be a non-smoker family. I didn't get enough time to get rid all of the cigarette odor and as expected, she complaint me about the odor and gave me 2* on the review. I contacted Airbnb Support, they didn't reply at all. What should i do ?

1 Reply 1
Victoria567
Level 10
Scotland, United Kingdom

Hi@Yopi

Welcome to the world of the entitled guest!

First of all, Tighten up your houserules/ house manual to make quite clear what guest behaviour is not acceptable.

You should have contacted air bnb by phone asap about this smoking guest rather than contact air bnb about the non smoking guest who left you a poor review for accomodation that smelled of smoke.

Perhaps bear this in mind in future that at the first hint of trouble, by a guest disrespecting your property or  house rules YOU MUST phone air bnb at once and NOT afterwards.

I hope you gave the smoking guest a 1* star where necessary and a thumbs down as well as an honest review of the facts for other hosts to read for themselves about This appalling  guest behaviour.

No wishy washy vague reviews please just the plain facts are enough.

Guest XYZ clearly read the house rules regarding  my non smoking environment as guest XYZ went to great lengths to cover my smoke alarms with a plastic bag to disguise the non permitted smoking.

Guest XYZ left cigarette stubs littered around the area.

Guest XYZ was a heavy smoker during their stay, I could not remove the cigarette stench prior to another non smoking guests arrival.

There is really nothing you can do about the 2* star review from the non smoking guest as they DID expect a non smoking environment which unfortunately your previous entitled Ass Hat smoking guest ruined with their rotten behaviour.