Guests leave good reviews but leave one stars?

Jojo8
Level 2
Kolkata, India

Guests leave good reviews but leave one stars?

I honestly don't understand the star / stats system on AB. Yesterday, my overall average rating was 4.3 with nobody leaving a 1 star feedback.

Today the overall average rating went up to 4.5 with another guest leaving a 5 star on all the options, but I suddenly saw (yesterday it wasn't there) somebody who had left me 1 star ratings and 2 star ratings on all the options, yet - all the reviews that I received had really nothing to complain about?!?

Has anyone else had such an experience? I am feeling terrible not knowing where I went wrong.

6 Replies 6
Lawrene0
Level 10
Florence, Canada

There really are no answers, @Jojo8, unless you write to the guests and ask. I have never done this because I feel like it is nagging. But here is something: When someone writes how immaculate your place is and how wonderful you are (as they have done, I see, in your reviews) and yet leave you 1 star, it can be because they are mixed up. They thought they were giving you the best rating. You were number 1! Those can't be changed, but it can be a comfort to know this. 

Thank you @Lawrene0. Just this message from you makes me feel way nicer. I just wish the star rating system was slightly more comprehensible for guests. Anyway, I also will not write to anyone because it indeed would seem like nagging. Thanks again.

I suggest that you contact AirBNB via Twitter and suggest that the guest has made an error if the comments don't match the star ratings. You can try to get this fixed if it clearly is/was an error. It is possible to get changes made (speaking from experience here). 

Thank you @Dennis-And-Gwen0 for your advice; I will do the same. I had contacted them on Twitter before and they seemed to reply to queries quickly enough. (They had botched up my bank account details and took almost 30 days to confirm them). Anyway, I hope for the best. Thanks again 🙂

Sandra126
Level 10
Daylesford, Australia

Have had this too, 1 star for excellence!

I have a suggestion for a review of the awkward star system on Host Voice, here is link: https://community.airbnb.com/t5/Host-Voice/Review-the-star-system-revolutionary-simplicity/idi-p/215...

Go and give it a tick if you agree, or comment even if you don't. If it gets enough ticks it might make it to be seen which would be great.

Thanks @Sandra126, amazing post! 🙂