Guests smoking dope, weed, marijuana Against house policy

Rosalind41
Level 8
Abbeville, SC

Guests smoking dope, weed, marijuana Against house policy

hello, my fourth weekend of guests have been found smoking marijuana, throwing up and vomiting off of my front porch and peeing off of the deck. It is against house policies and in the state that I live in marijuana is still illegal. Rowdy behavior until 4 o’clock in the morning for both Friday and Saturday nights. I am at a loss and simply don’t know what to do. Please help, I really appreciate your advice. Thank you !

28 Replies 28
Gordon0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

Kick them out, @Rosalind41, via Airbnb. 

well if only I had it in me to do that @Gordon0.  thanks for your reply!

I just had the same issue except I BEGGED Airbnb to kick them out and no one would respond to me. They would say “we’ve escalated the issue, you’ll hear back in 10 minutes from us” then I would hear nothing for an hour until I called again. After I called back same thing. A neighbor, I’m assuming, called the cops around midnight. I tried calling Airbnb 3 times to get them to remove the guests. Finally at 3am the police shut down the party. Now my house is trashed and reeks of weed, which is very illegal where I live, and I cannot get a phone call answer or a reply via support messages from Airbnb. I’m at a total loss. 

Linda108
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

Not sure if these rowdy guests are staying any longer than a night, but as @Gordon0  posts, contact Air BNB to evict.  Meanwhile, you should let the guest know that the illegal behavior is not tolerated and therefore you are requiring them to leave.  You have cancelled the rest of their stay and expect them to leave within the hour so you do not have to contact the police due to the illegal use of marijuana.  Presumably you have pictures of the behavior on your external cameras.

If they are staying only the one night, your recourse is to give a thumbs down review and claim any actual damage to your listing.  By the way, you might beef up your rule to reflect the illegality of the marijuana consumption since so many places now allow it.

Since your favorable location and large home might be a magnet to partying folks, you should consider a two day minimum stay.

@Linda0 

I have a 2-day minimum stay, so what other ways do you recommend wording my house description?

Thanks!

Andrea-and-Francis0
Level 10
Mississauga, Canada

We have had similar concerns with past guests so now have this house rule: No Smoking/Drugs On Our Entire Property:
There is a strict no smoking, drugs, marijuana (medical, legal or not), vaping cigarettes, e-cigarettes inside the apartment & our entire property. If you absolutely need to smoke please do so on the road off our property & dispose of cigarette butts in our garbage bin at the front of our house. Please do not litter on our property or the ground. Your welcome to use it on listing too if you like! Take care 🙂

Thank you @Andrea-and-Francis0 .... I have a similarly worded policy too, but I have now added, "vaping, e-cigarettes and marijuana to the prohibited list.  It didn't do much good for the last wild gang, but thankfully, a wonderfully respectful group stayed the following weekend!  

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Why didn’t you ask Airbnb to cancel the booking and your guests to leave when this happened on the first night this happened @Rosalind41 ? 

@Helen427 I'm a novice at this.  I contacted Airbnb immediately the day of check out.  I did not know that I could have someone leave during a reservation.  I have now filed a complaint for damages which is in process now.

well this is a difficult one. In the UK it is illegal, but very few people are prosecuted. 

Conflicting messages are sent to smokers (of anything)

we  just tell people to smoke outside, whatever they  smoke.  And they can vape inside whatever they vape.

As a (tobacco.... mostly ) smoker myself I always smoke outside and don't stink the house up for non smoking guests. I expect my guests to show the same respect to the next guests and not smoke inside.

I'd have no hesitation in throwing someone out if they smoked inside the house after all the effort and misery I go through smoking outside to keep the house fresh LOL.

I'm old, and at one time my current  views would have been considered pretty liberal on smoking,  but at the end of the day we have a no smoking in the house rule out of respect to the next people who stay. I don't actually care whether what people are smoking,  legal or otherwise, but if it burns it burns outside. Period. 

I don't judge people by what they do or don't put into their bodies, after all I am from the generation who gurned nights away at the Hacienda club (UK hosts might get that) but if people come to our house and complete the double-tap of breaking the law *and* the house rules I would expect Airbnb to cancel their reservation on the spot.

I

@Kevin1322  I'm basically in the same smoking camp as you. A smoker myself,  I actually was conflicted when I put up my listing re the "Smoking allowed" rule. Do I check it and then have non-smoking guests never book, assuming the place reeks like a seedy smoking-allowed motel room, or smoking guests thinking they have to hide their addiction? Do I say No Smoking, even though I smoke myself? That seemed pretty hypocritical, and then I'd probably get some guests who absolutely were disgusted with cigarette smokers and would leave me bad reviews because they saw me having a puff out in the yard. So in the end, I just left it unchecked and no guest has ever inquired about that before booking. 

I have to admit I sometimes smoke in the house if I don't have any imminent guests. That only happens in the living room, (the guest room is up an outside staircase and totally unconnected to the living area) and as I live in the tropics, all the many doors and windows are always open, there are no carpets or heavy drapes to absorb the smell, and I have asked non-smoking friends to tell me honestly if they can detect the smell and they have all said no.

What is curious is that I've had mainly non-smoking guests, but when I've told them after arrival that I'm one of those dreaded smokers, but I'll smoke in the far corner of the property outside, every guest but one has said it doesn't bother them a bit and to feel free to smoke wherever I normally do. The one who it obviously would bother just responded with "thank you", so of course I went out on the road or far from the house to have a smoke. And of those non-smoking guests, quite a few have ended up asking if they could bum one- that they normally don't smoke, but used to, and very occasionally indulge.

Of the few smoking guests, they have all smoked outside, I never had to caution them otherwise.

Susan17
Level 10
Dublin, Ireland

@Kevin1322 

"II am from the generation who gurned nights away at the Hacienda club..."

Oh dear God, yes! 24 Hour Party People! 😉

Makes us the first generation to say "Our kids will never ever be as cool as we were".  Smug mode engaged.

This'll take you back @Kevin1322 ! Just hearing this again fills me with an overwhelming urge to be back in a field in the middle of nowhere, raving it up at 5am with 30,000 random strangers/kindred spirits/bestest buddies.. collective consciousness in its purest, rawest form.. 😂

https://youtu.be/A7ZxRs45tTg