Guests tampering with residential mail.

Judy29
Level 9
Brant, Canada

Guests tampering with residential mail.

I had a couple move in mid September.  I have not seen any mail since they have arrived.  I have been on the phone with the utility companies and my credit card to make sure all accounts are current and have been paying late fee charges for this bills. I have no idea how many bills are still unpaid.  Should I be asked compensation for these bills as it is between $5-10 per bill for late charges.  I asked this couple not to touch anything that comes in the mail, to which the response was, ``it was only junk mail``.  Wrong answer...do not touch the mail!  Now that I have asked them to leave short of their requested stay, I am receiving their mail.  I have no idea where they are staying and hope it isnt with  one of the neighbouring Airbnb hosts (although it more than likely is), but I do know for sure that they are extremely close by (minutes by foot or maybe car).  I cannot return the packages that came via courier, but I can return the other mail.  The question is...should I.

Is this a matter that should be brought to Airbnb`s attention.  I have all ready put in a claim against them for missing household items, as well as damage fees for the kitchen cupboard draw that was so badly damaged, that we had to replace it (and now we have a drawer that does not match the rest of the kitchen!).  This was a very, VERY irresponsible and dirty couple with a 3 year old child. [Guest] and her husband are also Airbnb hosts in Toronto.  I would strongly suggest people interview them carefully before staying with them, or accepting them as guests.

1 Reply 1
Marzena4
Level 10
Kraków, Poland

You should request compensation for those surcharges, @Judy29, as well. And indeed, Airbnb, claiming to share the spirit of community, should indeed start dealing with such cases.

Concerning the guests, have you written about them here in the forum in the last few days? This name 'Erin' was mentioned by a host and a similar scenario...

// "The only person you can trust is yourself"