Guests with no profiles or reviews

Roz4
Level 10
Auckland, New Zealand

Guests with no profiles or reviews

Thanks so much to those in the community that write such great tips for new hosts. Last night I spent hours reading all sorts of posts on here, gathering lots of helpful information and mentally storing it away. This morning I had my first chance to use what I had learned! I had a booking request from a newbie so I tested my new response...

Thanks for your enquiry! It looks like you are new to Airbnb. Airbnb is such an awesome way to stay. The personal touches most hosts go to can make your stay so much more pleasant and the locations vary so much, so you can tailor travel to suit you. It's worth having a read in the Airbnb site of FAQs. Because it's personal (you would be staying on our own property) each host has their own rules to keep themselves safe and everyobe happy. Please take the time to read ours. The other part about it being personal is that most hosts will want to have an idea of who is coming. So if you are keen on experiencing Airbnb also take a little time to fill in some details on your profile. A photo and a little about yourself is a must as it forms the start of trust between the two parties. Read my profile and you will get a feel for what sort of things people write in this community. Once you fill in your profile and get a good review you will find you can "instant book" with many hosts, which makes life easier. When you do this it's "locked in". We love having the opportunity to be your first Airbnb experience, please share with us your expectations about staying on an Airbnb home instead of a hotel so we can make sure we meet them or even exceed them.

Our little studio is completely self contained and continental breakfast foods are supplied in the room for you to help yourself. Some hosts do provide hot breakfasts and others may not supply any (so the term Airbnb can be a bit confusing!)

Let me know when you've popped some info on your profile and I will happily approve your Friday night stay. Cheers! Roz

He hasn't actually booked yet, but he did take the time to load up a photo and verify this ID, so I consider that a success! 

34 Replies 34
Roz4
Level 10
Auckland, New Zealand

There's nothing in particular I want to know. I prefer people to have a profile and share something about themselves. That way I get a sense of who they are without having to message back and fourth.  Do you find it helpful when guests have profiles? 

One of my recent guests said in her profile "I like all things salted caramel" . That was awesome, it meant I could leave her some treats I knew she would love and it gave me an opportunity to provide personal service. But am I going to ask every guest what treats they particularly like? No. 

it is important for everyone to have a profile and a photo indeed! But yuu asked for advice and i think folks here are trying to tell you that the response is too worded with alot of unnecessary stuff. I myself perused thru it as fast as i could. We dont think anyone wants to read a "story" (some of us have been guests as well as hosts).

If you dont like our opinions (and thats all they are)...youre the 1 who asked.

Good luck

@Roz4

I happen to think this is great for new airbnb guests.  There is a function to save these in the message system so other new hosts may like to learn from what you wrote to make their own template to save.  Would be great if you wrote a possible reply for experienced airbnb guests making an enquiry and new hosts could likely learn from that too.  Excellent writing style so I am sure this would be very helpful.

All the best, Lisa

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Keep it to two or three lines

1. Please can you complete your profile Including photo of yourself

2. Can you let me know your plans for your stay and why you chose my place

3. Do have a look through my listing and  photos - if you have anything your want to ask about my place, please let me know.

This is good.  I have been lucky to have wonderful guests (I have only had two guests that didn't have any reviews since I only recently starting booking guests without reviews) but I have been surprised when a guest ask questions that show they didn't read the description, rules.  For example one guest booked the apt for himself and his mother and she seemed upset that I didn't have a washing machine, another was surprised that I don't have an elevator- I am in a fourth floor walkup.

# 3 is the most important question.

Gina71
Level 2
Lyndhurst, NJ

@Roz0
 it's a bit longer but you really touched on a very important point. As the Airb&b community grows, it is important to know who is the person you are welcoming to your house. I am more inclined to Accept request when the guest have identifiers and previews reviews.

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

Hi @Roz4. I am also learning about this all and sent a similar message to a guest a couple of days ago. Mine was:

"Before I pre-approve your booking, can I offer some advice? You sound lovely, but I see from your profile that you don't have any reviews yet, so it's really important that you complete your profile and verifications. Unfortunately, us hosts hear a lot of horror stories about guests without reviews/verifications and therefore many hosts would be reluctant to accept bookings without either.

I understand that you can't build up reviews until you stay a few places, but I suggest that you add a profile photo, a short description of yourself and get at least your mobile number and email (but preferably also your (SENSITIVE CONTENTS HIDDEN) profile) verified by Airbnb as soon as possible. By the way, verifying your (SENSITIVE CONTENTS HIDDEN) profile does not give users here access to it or allow Airbnb to post on it!"

I didn't realise the bit about a social media site verification would be hidden when I sent this, but it worked a treat as, within a few minutes, she had done all the things I requested and sent me a note thanking me for the advice.

Susan405
Level 1
Earlysville, VA

I have an inquiry from a guest with no reviews, and due to a previous bad experience (guest had ONE review, and the host said, "not my best experience"), I am reluctant to approve the request. The bad experience was very bad, and I do not want to repeat that situation.  What should I say to the guest with the inquiry, but no reviews?

Roz4
Level 10
Auckland, New Zealand

Do you feel you are someone with a good gut instinct? I personally have approved quite a few guests who had not previous reviews and they were all 5 star. I'd be inclined to try engaging them in some dialogue to get a feel for them before you decline. I like the message above in the post, that might be a good place to start? 

Roz4
Level 10
Auckland, New Zealand

I forgot to say @Susan405!

William168
Level 1
Rochester, VT

I have taken close to a year off from hosting airbnb guests because I found that the service was steering folks more towards a hotel experince than a stay in my home.  I also found that airbnb is not set up to address questions and will rarely make a policy change.  I think that profiles should be filled out completely if folks want to make a reservation request.  I have traveled extensively throughout the world and i will never stay someplace with out starting some kind of a raport with the hosts be it an apartment, house or a room. In order to start a raport one needs some info on the potential guests asking about a reservation.  I also find that folks that take their time in filling out the profile are naturally more relaxed and in the end better guests, they think it is important to let the host know something and to care about who will visit.  

So please tell me why airbnb does not think a complete profile is important in order to request a reservation but are pushing verification or instant book?

Thank you so much roz! I used some parts of you great text, and experience a lot if understanding and cooperation from the pitencial guest:) tnx 

Marj5
Level 1
Edmonton, Canada

My potential guest does not have a profile picture or ID. I only know her first name.  I don't feel comfortable with that so have asked her to complete the profile.

Wendy-and-Frank0
Level 10
Stonington, CT

With all due respect, if I booked a room with Air BNB and got this response, I'd leave.

Too long, too long, too long.

@Roz4

George-and-Hazel0
Level 1
Newburyport, MA

The appearance of folks with no profiles or reviews has been sudden and overwhelming. I am getting nervous about what AirBNB must be telling folks when they sign up. They should be firmly reminded that profiles and candor are the bedrock of AirBNB and they MUST have profiles that match their Facebook if they don't have any reviews yet.

I get the feeling AirBNB has changed the sign up process and lowered the bar to attract more customers. Shades of Uber (gasp!!)