Help. I suspect my Airbnb apapartment is being used for prostitution

Jahanara0
Level 2
Shipley, United Kingdom

Help. I suspect my Airbnb apapartment is being used for prostitution

Hi I’m relatively new Airbnb host, I have had four wonderful months of back to back bookings in an apartment attached to my house.

i have two ladies in at present , and I am very concerned at the number of different individual men visiting on an hourly basis, they are of all colours and creeds, and I suspect the worst.

they have not left the flat in the two days they have been there, their account was created in August and it looks like it has a fake review, as the last review shows they stayed in California? Only a few days ago.... this doesn’t make sense, why return to the UK and stay in another Airbnb 

i am am really worried , some men knocked on my door, I redirected them, I have a young family and have already emailed Airbnb with no response.   They leave tomorrow ... not sure what to do. Please help

14 Replies 14
Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

What did your guests say when you expressed concern about the multiple visitors visiting daily/ @Jahanara0 ?

Hopefully you have a house rules around no visitors to the premises who haven't booked and paid.

If the guests haven't responded to your concerns, and you have evidence of the multiple visits, then contact Airbnb and ask them to contact the guest to cancel the booking.

Jahanara0
Level 2
Shipley, United Kingdom

How do I contact airbnb

Jahanara0
Level 2
Shipley, United Kingdom

I haven’t confronted them as I am worried

Hello @Jahanara0 

United Kingdom              

+44 203 318 1111      

Jahanara0
Level 2
Shipley, United Kingdom

They were useless . Had me on hold for 50 minutes then said security team too busy and will Calle back . I have called police they haven’t showed up

Linda108
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

@Jahanara0   I am not sure what you think Air BNB or the police can do unless you can state that you have proof of illegal behavior or have rules in place that restricts visitors to registered guests only.  Also, as a host you need to contact the guests via the Air BNB message system and advise that you are not happy with the number of daily visitors.  If you do not want to confront the guests and they are leaving tomorrow, then just wait until they leave.  Meanwhile, take a good look at your rules and be sure to cover guest behavior that is not desireable in your listing.  I see you have a new listing that also does not address  non-registered visitors.

Jahanara0
Level 2
Shipley, United Kingdom

Thank you for the tips . I will address that straight away . 

I have waited 1hr 30mins for the police . I think I will confront them and make them leave as this is my family home and I have small children 

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

@Jahanara0  One of the issues we need to consider when running an airbnb is that we need to be able to deal with the difficult situations  that come with poor guest behaviour as well as enjoying the benefits of a home based business model.

This is not a police matter but a civil one and you need to be able to contact guests about poor behaviour. If you didn't feel up to knocking on the door you could have messaged/texted the guest and told them you were uncomfortable with a stream of male visitors and that this needed to stop or they would be asked to leave.

This would have given you a record which you could have used to get Airbnb to cancel if the behaviour continued.

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Jahanara0  I don't understand why you are allowing these men to enter in the first place. They aren't registered guests and have no right to be in your home.

Jahanara0
Level 2
Shipley, United Kingdom

My Air Bnb has a seperate entrance, hence I have little control over who goes in or out.  Anyway I confronted them, and they packed their things and left in 10 minutes, as I told them the police were coming.  Disgusting guests, I will study in detail the Air Bnb ground rules, as up to now I only have had to deal with pleasant genuine people. Thanks for your advice

@Jahanara0  You can have a security camera focused on that entrance, or a Ring doorbell, as long as it's disclosed in your listing information.

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Glad that you has a successful outcome. Airbnb should ban these guests but please leave an honest review to warn your future hosts. You cannot say they are prostitutes but you can say you had to ask them to leave after having seen a constant stream of men come into the listing in your family home.

I agree with @Sarah977  get CCTV or similar so you can monitor your listing

Kenneth12
Level 10
Chicago, IL

ABB's default rule is no one on property other than registered guests;  your guest is in violation of that rule and subject to cancellation at their cost.

Depending on the situation,   I would inform them of that in the Messaging Center ASAP.

Anyone have the reference to ABB's written policy (which is poorly written) at hand?

Good luck.

Jennifer1421
Level 10
Peterborough, Canada

@Jahanara0What an awful experience for you. At least they left without a fuss.

@Kenneth12  I guess this situation could fall under:

14.3 If you feel that any Member you interact with, whether online or in person, is acting or has acted inappropriately, including but not limited to anyone who (i) engages in offensive, violent or sexually inappropriate behavior, (ii) you suspect of stealing from you, or (iii) engages in any other disturbing conduct, you should immediately report such person to the appropriate authorities and then to Airbnb by contacting us with your police station and report number (if available). You agree that any report you make will not obligate us to take any action (beyond that required by law, if any).

So, even though Jahanara maybe has no "proof", and although prostitution is legal in the UK, (while "keeping a brothel" {defined as more than 1 sex worker in a space} is not), the right channels have been followed per Airbnb's Terms vis-a-vis calling the police. Weird that they want you to contact the "authorities" then provide your police report # in the case of "disturbing conduct"...which is an awfully vague term and not necessarily criminal.

Sidebar question: If you allow your space to be used by sex workers, or even if you are unaware of it, can you, as a UK host, be charged with keeping a brothel? Yikes.

I haven't found the policy about authorized guests. Would be interested to see that, too.