Horrible Customer Service Experience

Horrible Customer Service Experience

Background

I lease one of my home's rooms on Airbnb, it is a private room. Guest booked it and I subsequently sent my self check-in guide (A tool Airbnb provides). Without any message or communication from guest, I was messaged by Airbnb support stating that they do not tolerate double bookings, and that if I do not respond within 20 mintues, they would cancel the reservation as host, and penalties would apply.

As soon as I saw the message (around 40 minutes after receiving it) the reservation had already been cancelled, 0 star review applied, and all funds refunded to guest. I subsequently sent time stamped videos and photos showing the room to be in fact vacant (not double booked) and affirmed the fact that this was a "private room" in a shared home, not a entire home. I also emphasized my displeasure in the fact that Airbnb so quickly sided with the guest when it was clear there was no double booking or evidence pointing to this fact. 

What actions I took

I felt what happened to be totally unjust - a guest was able to get a full refund, when I had provided a listing totally within its description. They didn't communicate a single word, and I was only given 20 minutes to respond to a matter that was not even my fault (rather a misunderstanding from the guest). 

After waiting 24 hours, I had still not received any response in the support thread. So I rang Airbnb. I was referred to a different case manager who said they would need to contact the original case manager for clarification, however noted that the reason the reservation was cancelled was noted as "unresponsive host" rather than double booking. This was strange, and contrary to the reason provided to me, the host. Customer service promised they would call me the next day. 

I waited more than 3 days. No response, email or response given. 

I called Airbnb back. I was once again referred to a new case manager. This case manager was quite different. Before I said anything the case manager out right said "I will be blunt. The case is closed and I will be unable to do anything further".

I repeated again my position: That I was told the reservation was cancelled due to a double booking (that I refuted with evidence) but that internally at Airbnb, it was noted it was cancelled due to a non-responsive host.

I calmly and firmly argued that this is not the way a host of 5 years and over 1200 reviews should be treated. Afterall, the reservation was not double booked, and how can I be an "unresponsive host" when the guest had never sent a single message after they booked? They already had all the information via a self checkin guide.

The case manager then started to look into the notes and said that indeed the way the case was handled was strange. When I said that I get the feeling the original case manager had probably felt they mishandled the case and tried to bury it, the case manager on phone said "I am starting to agree". 

He then proceeded to say that he would remove all penalties from the cancellation, but that the money would not be refunded.

I was thankful, but asked why did he first outright refuse to help in the beginning? But why now is he suddenly able to remove the penalties? Furthermore, why wouldn't the funds be refunded if this was mishandled by Airbnb? Afterall, the reasons given for not refunding the host all were not true. I neither doubled booked the guest nor could it be claimed that I the host was unresponsive (since guest didn't even send a message) and I had already provided step by step full checkin guide. 

This is where things get even more weird. 

The case manager went on to argue that the "checkin guide" I provided to the guest was not considered valid communication since I had been informed on 28 August that this feature would be discontinued. By checkin guide, I mean the feature in airbnb where you can create a "Check-in" guide for your listing with photos and notations. I was shocked. The case manager went on to say that the link was considered "third party" and that the link should not work anymore. I was not convinced. The conversation was something like as follows:

"The checkin guide feature will be discontinued. We are working on a new way, you were informed on 28 August. Therefore the checkin guide link you provided to the guest was not valid communication. If you sent checkin steps in words, but not in a link, the case would have been managed differently. But because you provided a checkin guide link this was  not counted. Third party links aren't counted"

"But the checkin guide works fine, I have checked it. In fact, I use the check-in for all over my listings. I even received an email promoting the self checkin guide feature from Airbnb recently. Moreover, it is still on the Airbnb website showing hosts step by step how to use it. Please show me or forward me information regarding when and how this feature was discontinued? "

"I cannot provide that information"

"Well this impacts not just me but millions of hosts that use self-checking uide feature, I cannot get off the phone until I clarify this. As if what you say is true, then all my self checkin guides not don't work and I have to spend hours to adjust my way of advising guests how to check-in. So before I get off the phone and proceed with updating all my listings, I need to confirm that what you say is true. Please direct me to a link, email of news article whatever to confirm the self checkin guide has either been deprecated or when it will be". 

I GET DISCONNECTED.

I call Airbnb back, tell them I was disconnected. The customer service rep then advised they'll note my complaint and that a case manager will contact me again via email. I ask if I can be connected with the previous case manager, to which she said she could not but that all that is within her power is to have a note for someone to contact me. I then say "okay thank you" and hang up.

I call back. 

This time I am referred to a new case manager. I explain the situation and my response once again is totally different. In a positive way. It went something like this.

"Sorry this case has been so mishandled. I can see you've been contributing as a host for overr 5 years and not only will I remove the penalties for this cancellation, but will also reimburse the funds. " 

"Thank you so much. I feel this is a much more fair outcome. However, why was the last case manager so adamant that nothing could be done? "

"I am not sure, but looking at case notes it does appear this has been mishandled." 

"Okay, before we go on, can you please clarify if the self checkin guide feature will be discontinued? The case manager emphasized that it would be"

"As far as I can see, this feature has will go on. And it doesn't appear that it will be discontinued. The links are all working fine". 

"Then why did the last case manager repeatedly emphasize that this feature would be removed?"

"I do not know, but you'll be refunded and penalties removed. I am sincerely sorry for how this was managed". 

Conclusion

-Airbnb cancelled guest from my side, i got no refund. I got a automatic zero star review. Reason given: I double booked the guest, was unresponsive. 

-I sent video evidence and photos, screenshots proving the room was vacant. Also that the guest never sent a single message

-I contacted airbnb after no response for days. I was referred to case manager. Case manager said they'd review and get back to me in a day

-3 days passed, no response given. I call airbnb back, refer to a new case manger. Case manager blatantly says there's nothing they can do. I then argue my case, they then admit case was mishandled and said they'll remove penalties, but not refund. I argued refund should be given since I was responsive as a host and no double booking

-Case manager argues that the 'self checkin' guide link provided was a feature that was phased out and hosts were warned on 28 Aug. Therefore this was not valid communication and thus, monetary penalties will apply.

-I argued that self checkin link is a core feature that thousands of hosts rely on. I doubted that it was removed and asked case manager to provide evidence of this announcement. Case manager was unable to show evidence, and I was disconnected. 

-I called airbnb back, was connected with a new case manager, he not only removed all penalties, but also refunded my money. Moreover, confirmed the self checkin guide feature was not going to be removed and was unaware of why the last case manager informed me of this. 

Final Thoughts

This whole process took hours of my time, I needed to vent. Being passed around multiple times and mistreated by customer service was very depressing. The inconsistent customer service responses to the matter and misinformation is disgusting and I hope that the customer service reps that mishandled this case are coached appropriately. I thank the final case manager for handling this in a quick and efficient way.

Incredibly inconsistent and stressful. 

21 Replies 21
Lisa723
Level 10
Quilcene, WA

Sheesh.

Mark116
Level 10
Jersey City, NJ

@Jamie65 It's scary how bad this company is.  

@Mark116 Yes incredible how inconsistent customer service is. Poorly trained and outright mistreat hosts. I hope you haven't had too many bad experiences. 

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Jamie65  Appalling. Seems to get worse all the time. One thing I'll say, though. When you do finally get a helpful and on point case manager who works for you to get the desired outcome, I don't think it serves any purpose (except to air our anger and frustration) to question them as to why the previous case managers handled things so poorly, gave erroneous information, etc. The good case manager is not in charge of the others, I doubt that they tattle on each other to the supervisors, so when you do get one, just be grateful that you got a good one and make sure to reward them by expressing your appreciation . If we start questioning why it was handled so poorly up to then, when that wasn't the good one's fault, it can put them in a position of having to be defensive. 

What's so frustrating is that there is no way to report the bad ones. They should all get fired, like right away. Hosts aren't allowed to get away with anything, while these ** can just carry on wasting host's valuable time and confusing them with false information.

**Personal remarks removed

Thanks for the feedback everyone. It felt good to share this experience and vent. My advice is if you feel strongly that you're not being dealt with fairly by a case manager, ring back until you find someone who is willing to listen with reason. Always keep cool, and be extremely patient. 

How can we keep dealing with Airbnb as if nothing happened after repeatedly experiencing this kind of behaviour and getting no convincing excuse or planned-improvement-roadmap from the representatives? I understand it’s basically all about the money because Airbnb ist an evil monopoly. But what else should happen so that we stop tolerating it? It is still in our power to click it away and at least to try something different.

Brianne19
Level 2
New York, NY

The case managers don't help guests either with real issues. If you guys hear of a way to report case managers, please let me know. I'm sorry guests have been awful to you. (I am only a guest but I had a very bad experience that was worsened by the case managers to the point of safety concerns..)

There was one situation recently where I saw that the payout was incorrect (guest was refunded for their entire stay). I rang support and they launched and investigation. It turned out the case manager had accidently refunded the guest for their entire stay, rather than the few days they shortened. 

Not only this, the refund wasn't something I consented to nor was I told about (the cancelled days were under strict cancellation policy and guest called airbnb for a refund).

I was advised that the case manager had incorrectly handled the case and refunded guest funds without going through me, but more so, refunded the wrong amount. I was told that he was reprimanded. But this was as far as I knew anything had occured.

I think if the situation is clearly the fault of a case manager, and black and white (like the situation I went through) they are reprimanded. 

Sofie34
Level 2
Wooster, OH

Their customer service has never been great. Now it's downright horrible.

Nina595
Level 2
California, United States

I can’t imagine the mistakes airbnb case managers do and the troubles they cause to their members and no one can stop them, where i can talk to someone who can take action and evaluate staff poor performance??

Jacques34
Level 2
Badhoevedorp, Netherlands

Does anyone know if there is a difference between Airbnb Customer Service employees and Airbnb Community Support employees?

Glenn55
Level 2
Philadelphia, PA

I had a guest that caused over $4000 in damage and airbnb only provided me with $134. This is despicable. Furthermore, today I was on the phone with a case manager after 1 hour of being on the phone and she openly hung up on me. This is why every chance I get I refer potential guests to other sites. You cannot treat partners like this and expect them to keep sending you revenue. AIRBNB HAS NO PUNISHMENT FOR THIS TYPE OF TREATMENT FROM THEIR STAFF. WE BUILT THIS COMPANY AND WITHOUT US YOU ARE NOTHING!!!!!!!!!!! 

Jillian115
Level 10
Jamestown, CA

@Jamie65  Wow, I have had some pretty horrible experiences with CS lately but this is the worst I have seen. How incredibly frustrating. Since you have posted they have laid off 1900+ employees and are trying to prevent all cancellations so there are many more stories out there. I posted about it as well. 

Melinda197
Level 2
St. Petersburg, FL

Airbnb allowed my account to get frauded out of over $2400 when a payout method was added without my consent. After multiple fruitless phone calls and failed promises of call backs, I was told I would probably need to wait 5 days for a call back! Why are they still taking 3% of our profits without providing any service??? So disgusted with this experience.