Host Invoices

Nguyen6
Level 2
Hanoi, Vietnam

Host Invoices

Dear community,

I had a guest stayed at our place for 2 days. The price for 2 days is 97$. But i got charged 50$ with cancellation fee. Maybe because that i cancelled guest request last time. I am new here so i dont know that cancel guest request may lead to that the next invoice i will get penalized. And i am very afraid now because i cancelled like 3 booking for my guest. So i want to ask that if i cancelled 3 booking, will my next 3 booking get penalized. I am so confuse now. Please help. 

12 Replies 12
Gerry-And-Rashid0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

There are heavy financial penalties for cancelling bookings on guests - and this money is taken from future bookings. Look up AirBnB's policy on Cancellations and you will see more details. 

Thank you Gerry and Rashid for your reply

For my situation that i cancelled for 3 of my guest. 2 that dont have instant booking and 1 that have. All above 7 days before the booking date. Then how much money i will get penalized and how many future invoice that i will have penalty

Elena87
Level 10
СПБ, Russia

Here is the link to the policy

https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/990/i-m-a-host--what-penalties-apply-if-i-need-to-cancel-a-reser...

There are penalties applied to a host unless the reasons are covered by a limited range of extenuating circumstances.

As well as financial penalties, you can see there is an automated review posted too, which reflects on your reputation as an unreliable host to potential future bookers. So the moral of the tale, do not advertise dates you cannot deliver on and do not cancel unless you have a valid extenuating reason. 

Recently I had a guest stay at my place and on the afternoon before their departure, they received a message that their next host in Moscow had cancelled, within 18 hours of check - in - with no reason given why. It meant the guests ( in shock) - and me - spent about ninety minutes to find a suitable alternative within their means. The guests tight holiday budget took a hit, as they had to wait for their refund to be returned while they had to spend money upfront for a new place. I guess this particular experience was in their top two stories they told to friends and family when they got home.

Thank you so much for your reply. But how can i know what exactly furture booking that i may got penalized . Maybe 2 or 3 i dont know. Im just a staff and this will destroy my salary. 

Here are listed the penalties for pressing the cancel button.

We'll automatically deduct any applicable cancellation fees from your next payout. Your first cancellation as a host will not include a cancellation fee.

More than 7 days before check-in: The cancellation fee will be waived for your first cancellation within a 6-month period. Then, for every additional cancellation within that 6-month period, you'll be charged $50 per cancellation.

Within 7 days of check-in: Airbnb charges a $100 fee for any reservation canceled within 7 days of check-in.

Hosts who use Instant Book may be able to cancel penalty-free if they have concerns about the reservation or a guest’s behavior. Calendar inaccuracy and confusion about pricing or availability are not covered by this policy.

It isn't a progressive penalty suprisingly , if you have New York Fifth Avenue penthouse or a lean-to shack 40 minutes drive down a rutted road from Murmansk , the penalties are just the same.

@Elena87

Thank you so much for your reply.

I got penalized 50$ at 1 invoice already. And i see that 1 have 1 guest review only at my room said that i cancelled it. Airbnb said nothing and they just charged me. Now i dont know how to know the exactly money amount i will be charged. Will i have to wait for another invoice so i can know that they will charge me or not? 

Marit-Anne0
Level 10
Bergen, Norway

@Nguyen6

I guess you are due another $50.  

@Marit-Anne0

Cant the airbnb just send me the notice about how much i have to pay? Now i just have to wait for the invoice of guest to come so i can know that will i get charged or not? This is so awful

Linda108
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

@Nguyen6  Several very knowledgeable hosts have tried to help you understand that cancelling is not in the best interests of you or of the Air BNB  community.  It doesn't appear that you have taken time to read any of the information on Air BNB about cancellations or about hosting in general.  I am concerned that all you want to know is about the money you are losing.  I hope you will also learn about the impact your cancellations are having on the travelers that are trying to book on Air BNB.  

@Linda108

I dont cancel the guest because my room is booked or anything. I just cancel it because guest said that they cant have any refund or they suddenly dont like the bar and i just cancel it for them. The property is a hotel so the room  is always updated everyday and the policy is very professional. I usually have guest at agoda,booking,expedia,etc... and i just got only 2 guest of airbnb until now for half of a year running. I hope this will make you have a clearlier sight about the situation i got now. Thank you

That makes more sense.  In future, if a guest has booked through Airbnb, don't cancel for them.  Say no!  If Airbnb sends a message saying the guest wants you to cancel, say no, the room is fine, the reservation is fine.  The guest must cancel and pay a penalty for that choice.  That is the way it is.

You can call Airbnb or contact them on Facebook or Twitter and ask them to waive the fees because the guests wanted to cancel.  They might do that if the messages show that the guest wanted to cancel.

@City-Limits-Ranch0

Thank you for your reply. I will try to contact them. Most of the time they just hanged up me. I still have the conversation between me and guest. But can you help me again? i see that i have only 1 reply about a cancel. Does that mean i will be charged only 1 time ? I hate the situation that i dont know how much money i will lost.