Host is charging extra breakfast?

Host is charging extra breakfast?

This is the community forum but all the posts here seem to be related to hosting questions...

Anyway, is it normal that a host charges extra for breakfast? Host asked me if I would like breakfast, and if yes it's $6 per breakfast. I normally do not expect anyone to make me breakfast, but it might be nice. But I've also never seen a host charge for that. Not a huge deal but this is the first time I've seen this so just wondering if this is a normal thing. Thanks for any input.

20 Replies 20
Mira9
Level 1
Ičići, Croatia

Why not, it doesn't seem so strange to me.  If you don't want it, just refuse. If you do want it, of course the host has some extra expenes.

I didn't ask if it was strange, but if it is typical or normal. I've never seen that. I know I can decline.

Victoria57
Level 10
Strathpeffer, United Kingdom

Hi @Christopher64, the host should make it clear in the listing if they provide breakfast as part of the room cost (as we do) or if it is an extra charge. It is not something that shold be a surprise to a guest.

Yes this was not mentioned in the listing at all. It's ok really, and like I said I usually leave for breakfast and do not expect anything. I just wasn't expecting surcharges, since breakfast is a part of "b&b."

Kate373
Level 2
Scotland, United Kingdom

I just started yesterday and want to knoe how to charge extra for a full cooked breakfast as opposed to the cereal included in the price, IO can't see a way to incorporate this into AIRBNB listing

Andrea9
Level 10
Amsterdam, Netherlands

@Christopher64

Why is that so strange?

Hotels often do that by having a restaurant on the premises, but you'll have to pay for it, and way more than 6$.

Airbnb hosts have to buy food extra and pay for it, so asking a guest if they are interested in breakfast is a nice and fair thing, and doing it for a small price is amazing actually.

Most hosts don't offer breakfast because their working life doesn't allow it or because they are afraid they might have to cater for all kinds of special allergy and other wishes and end up wasting food that way. So as I see it, you've hit the jackpot!

I didn't say it wast strange. But surcharges were not listed in the description, and breakfast is one half of "b&b." I've used Airbnb a fair bit now but I have never seen an added charge at the residence.

B&B can mean “bed and bath”. Most places on Airbnb that I have stayed at did not have breakfast included.

If the listing indicates breakfast as an amenity then it is included. If the listing states there is a surcharge for it, that means guests can opt out of having it if they don’t want it and not expect hosts to provide a partial refund because of food not served…that happened to me before where a guest had a wedding brunch to attend and said to take the breakfast off the room rate. I politely pointed out it was complimentary. 

Melanie58
Level 10
Boise, ID

I understand how that could come across as strange - in a way it is probably because of the Airbnb platform.  Everything is very standardized, and there isn't an easy way to, for example, have a toggle where the guest could select breakfast if they want it or not, or view some kind of menu and select the items they want.  So if the host is planning on offering something beyond the basic cheerios and milk, their only option is to ask you if you are interested which is awfully direct and might put you in a position of wondering if they will be put out if you don't have breakfast or something like that.  Meanwhile, if they roll the cost in for every guest, their room may not be competitive with others in the area for people who aren't as interested in breakfast.  

My guess is that it is probably someone who genuinely enjoys cooking and would like to provide something beyond the standard, and so they are using the tools that are available to them on the Airbnb platform to plan in advance for your arrival.  If they waited until you were already there to ask, they may not have enough time to go get everything they need.  I would recommend that you consider the offer and make your choice based on what you truly want to do, as that is likely their intention.  

Well said, yes I agree. I usually just take off and do my own thing for breakfast anyway. My only point is that it was a surprise and not mentioned in the listing. So I wasn't aware there might be surcharges for this or that. 

Where on the listing might you find it?

I am a host and I rent a room in my farm and this just gave me a great idea. I can offer "Breakfast in Bed" as an optional service. Like hotels. Leaving a little menu in their bed from where they can choose the food  I will and can cook for them.  

I have fresh eggs and seasonal vegetables all year, for an extra fee I can make them breakfast. Thanks for the idea!

Roger17
Level 10
Thomaston, GA

I think they should at least mention in their ad(s) that breakfast is available for an additional charge.    Thanks, Roger

David126
Level 10
Como, CO

@Kate373

You can mention it in your listing and either take cash or make them a special offer to include the additional cost.

David