Host wants me to cancel for their reasoning

Abigail17
Level 2
Southport, NC

Host wants me to cancel for their reasoning

So I booked a listing in the U.K. For march 16 around 7 hours ago.. about 2 hours later I receive a message from my host saying that they will not be able to accommodate me. I said oh, so I have to cancel it? And they said yes cancel. Then I said, wait, that's wrong? You're the one who should be cancelling because their reasons for not being able to accommodate me is that they have a funeral.. so I was wondering how do I get a refund without losing 50% by cancelling for my host reasons?

29 Replies 29
Rhonda26
Level 2
Milford Mill, MD

This situation happened to me.   I contacted Airbnb on behalf of the guest, since one of my siblings passed away unexpectedly.  Since, the cancellation was the result of an event on my part, I wanted the guest to receive all their money back.  Also, I was not penalized for the cancellation either.  There should not be a problem for the host to cancel without penalty due to the death in the family. 

Hope this helps. 

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Rhonda0 @Ira0, Yes Rhonda that is unfortunate and of course we would all sympathise with you but, that is not the issue here!

The host can of course apply to Airbnb under the 'Extenuating Circumstances' clause and Airbnb will release the host without penalty.

The issue here is, the host is using the excuse of a death that has not happened....the funeral is a month down the track, oh yeah!

The host wants the guest to cancel because they know full well that Airbnb will not grant extenuating circumstances for an event that has not happened, and the host has a strict cancellation policy which means they get to keep the entire hosting fee when they quite plainly overlooked keeping their calendar up to date as far as blocked dates are concerned.

This host does not deserve to be in this community....shame on them!

Cheers.....Rob

Mailu0
Level 1
Nairobi, Kenya

To be on the safe side just put it on the resolution center so that airbnb are aware of the situation. I have found that airbnb will mediate and do the best to protect the both the guests and the hosts however since you have your full communication history on airbnb (im guessing you have been using to communicate) you should be fine.

You can also raise the fact that you are not comfortable with the said host due to the suspicious activity and airbnb will help you find alternative acommodation. 

MicheleandLouw0
Level 10
Maun, Botswana

@Abigail17I am a host but also a keen Airbnb guest. I recently booked an urgent stay with instant booking for the following night in a city 1200km away. While I was driving the next day I got a message from the inexperienced host saying that he can’t host me. Of course I asked him to cancel my booking but he did not.  I was livid! I had to sort this all out while driving. Anyways I stopped and send a DM message on Twitter to Airbnbhelp. They canceled the booking on the host's behalf, gave me a discount voucher and helped me to find new accommodation. Now that's what I call service. I was so happy.

@MicheleandLouw0  Good to hear it worked out for you.  Of course your knowledge as both a host and a guest helped a great deal as you knew to put the issue directly into Air BNB customer service.  This type of issue is just what I want Air BNB customer service focussed on rather than answering questions clearly answered in the Help Center.

@Linda108 I totally agree

Abigail17
Level 2
Southport, NC

UPDATE:

Thanks everyone for the help and advice! In light of your comments and care I  have not completely turned my back on airbnb lol. So, I requested the host to cancel. And she indeed did. Perhaps she did have a funeral arrangement? Or is not a super host so she doesn't lose anything? Still a bit fishy to me.  Regardless, I'm glad it's over with and will be receiving a full refund.. 

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Abigail17 Thank you so much for responding and telling the community of your outcome. It means so much when someone takes the time to follow through. We all learn and we all gain something Abigail.

We are not always right but we do always try and I hope you and your sister get to have that holiday in the UK that you look back on fondly for years to come.

All the best....cheers.....Rob

Thank you! Yes ma'am, my sister and I will be staying a couple of nights in Soho London and will have a day trip to Oxford. I'm so excited! 

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Abigail17 It's actually 'Ham' not Ma'am but hey, it's not the first time. One long time contributor though 'Rob' was a she for a whole year! It seemed a pity to burst her perception bubble, but I just can't go on forever leading this double life!!!

All the best Abigail....and if you ever get to thinking that the great south land may be worth a visit, their will always be an Airbnb comfy chair and a pillow here for you.....without the risk of a 'death' lurking in the wings...

Cheers.....Rob

Hi Abigail - same thing happened to and they are escalating the cancellation. Quick question, how quickly do they refund?

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

I believe it's up to two weeks @Billy38 if you want a refund rather than credit to a new listing.

However, why not give Airbnb a call and check with them directly.

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Billy38 Hi Billy, if you wish to talk to them, or email one of the support levels for an answer, try this link Billy....

https://www.airbnb.com.au/help/contact_us#/

Cheers....Rob

Raphael71
Level 1
Parañaque, Philippines

Hi, I have a concern regarding my host asking me to cancel. He is insisting that he would rather pay me over paypal and that he would just pay for the cancellation charges. He is stating that he had inspection concerns by their local government. He wants me to understand that he has reached his limit for his allowable cancellation. One more and he would be incurring penalties. 

That said, what is the process for this? I've tried doing it myself but can't seem to find a button that I should press. I emailed support just today. It is quite urgent as I am scheduled to arrive on March 8 in Korea. Thanks

@Raphael71  Your host is asking you to act outside of the terms of agreement with Air BNB.  If the host is "in danger" of having too many cancellations that should tell you something about the host that may be cause for concern that this host may not be acting in good faith.  Contact Air BNB and request assistance with cancellation and possibly relocation if you have difficulty finding a suitable place.  Here is a guide for contacting Air BNB.

https://community.withairbnb.com/t5/Help/Contact-Airbnb-A-Community-Help-Guide/m-p/16165#M728

Good luck!!