Host who Lie!

Sara5797
Level 1
Compton, CA

Host who Lie!

I booked a reservation and the host later messaged that the amenities listed in the listing will not be available for use. I informed that I'd like to cancel and Airbnb will only reimburse $1 on a $1,200 deposit. Which is ludicrous! I tried to contact Airbnb daily with no luck and I don't want to pay for a reservation where I don't know what I'm getting. The host shouldn't be able to post anything on their listing, especially if their guest are not able to use it. This is an ethical issue and I'm shocked that I have yet to hear back form Airbnb about this. Has anyone else experienced this? Please share your thoughts or strategies. 

2 Replies 2
Emiel1
Level 10
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands

@Sara5797 

As this is the hosts mistake, you should not have cancelled yourself !

The host should have cancelled and you would have full refund.

Or you should have contacted Airbnb  and ask them to cancel.

If the communication about amenities not available is recorded in the Airbnb message system, you can still file a claim at Airbnb. But be prepared for long waiting times a Customer Service.

BTW Did you communicate with the host about any refund ?

Best regards,

Emiel

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Sara5797  What amenities did the host say can't be provided?  Is it possible that this has something to do with COVID directives, like a pool being closed or that the AC can't be used because it could spread the virus through the ventilation system? If so, then the host didn't lie, but they certainly should have mentioned this in their listing information. 

So if it has to do with COVID, you aren't likely to find other places in the same area where those amenities are provided right now, either. But if you still wanted to stay, the host should offer a discount because of the missing amenities.