Scam alert! How can I make sure a listing is real?

Answered!

Scam alert! How can I make sure a listing is real?

This will be my first time using Airbnb so I'm a bit weary about listings being fake.

What can I do to make sure a listing is real and not a scam?

What should I be looking out for?

Thanks

1 Best Answer
Cynthia-and-Chris1
Level 10
Vancouver, WA

Welcome to Airbnb!

Here are a few things you can do to make sure the listing is real:

(1) Look at the reviews and make sure they seem to talk about the same place you are booking

(2) If the listing says anything about contacting the host outside of Airbnb before booking, DO NOT - this is a well-known scam.

(3) Look at the listing - if it seems "too good to be true" (aka luxurious penthouse for a super low rate) it probably is!

You can also post the link here and we can weigh in on our thoughts.

View Best Answer in original post

807 Replies 807
Dan698
Level 1
New Ulm, MN

@Dan698This is a real Airbnb listing. 

To make sure that you book from real Airbnb site, the best way is to book either through Airbnb mobile app in your cell phone or book from airnbnb website by typing Airbnb.com on your web browser.

Do not book from an internet search or the worse is through an email link.

Amilia-SD0
Level 1
Surakarta, Indonesia

Hello, i'm Ami from Indonesia. I will go to London this 2nd of July, and then I found this apartment

https://abnb.me/caGVcJ4kxX

The apartment looks nice and has a great amenities, but it's still newly listed and no review, will it be okay for me to book it? 

Laura2962
Level 1
Southaven, MS

I am trying to book a family vacation and have about 18 people that are going to be relying on me to get them a place to stay!  I have been looking at big homes in the Orlando area (we plan on going to Disney). Some of them seem perfect for the price and space but have very little reviews. I am

just trying to see if you guys could weigh in on this listing. Fake or no? 

https://abnb.me/1a689kTRBX

@Laura2962 This listing seems to be real.it redirected to Airbnb.com.

If you have mobile app open, it directs to your mobile app. The price seems to be pretty good.just make sure to add total number of guests you are to book before you see the final price.

Thanks! 

@Laura2962  This is listing on the official Airbnb site. There's no way for anyone to really tell if a listing is "fake", unless it's a fake URL meant to look by the real site to unsuspecting people. I looked at it and there aren't any red flags that jumped out, 

Have you messaged this host or any other host of listings you're considering? I'm always amazed at how many guests seem to never think to do this- they somehow think they have to Instant Book a place just because that option is available.

You can tell a lot through communication with the host. Just send an friendly Inquiry message to the host (not a Booking Request), which doesn't obligate you in any way, saying you're considering her place for a family holiday to Disneyland, ask a question or two that might not be answered for you just by reading the listing info, and see what kind of response you get. If the host responds in a timely fashion, and nicely, and doesn't start talking about anything like paying off-site or collecting a cash deposit, or anything else weird or pressuring, and all feels legit, you're probably good to go.

I did! The host seemed nice through  conversation. Thanks for all your help. 

Khasai0
Level 1
New York, NY

Really interested in booking this place but it has no reviews and not too much info. Would anyone be skeptical?

https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/35290428?source_impression_id=p3_1560874409_qvGSgtfIG%2FKORsWm

Ana1136
Level 10
Ohrid, Macedonia (FYROM)

@Khasai0 it is on the official Airbnb website so it's hard to tell. But at least Airbnb doesn't release the money to the host until 24h after check in so if you decide to book you will be able to see it and if anything isn't right Airbnb will refund you. There is the inconvenience of finding a place for the same day though, so if you don't feel like risking maybe book a place that has some reviews. This person has joined in June 2019, everyone has to start somewhere 🙂 

Thank you

Ton30
Level 2
Westmaas, Netherlands

I noticed that a complete unknown gay as a host is showing our property on the Airbnb website. He is also using our pictures which we provided to the travel agency for renting our villa via their own website.

Where (email address?) can I contact Airbnb to remove this listing and replace that by my own listing as the legal owner or legally appointed host?

Kris205
Level 1
Byron Bay, Australia

Hannah483
Level 2
Bristol, United Kingdom

Hello group,

I'm a little nervous about a holiday I’ve booked for next month as there are no reviews and the Google Maps location doesn’t show anything that looks like it.

The host has been very polite and I’ve only paid a deposit and emailed through the Airbnb app.

Would you mind taking a look and letting me know what you think please? I’m travelling with my two young children and am nervous of being left stranded when we arrive late at night. 

https://abnb.me/SqXqoLQzKX

Thanks,

Hannah