How to refund guest for hurricane

Ryan2591
Level 2
Savannah, GA

How to refund guest for hurricane

Our cancellation policy doesn't allow for guest to get a refund but we would like to refund based on Hurrican Ian in hopes they will return to our place in the future.  Should I have the quest cancel their stay and the refund or should I cancel the booking?  I dont want to impact our super host rating and want to do whats right for all parties.  

14 Replies 14
Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Advise the guest to cancel under Airbnb's EC policy if they want to get a full refund @Ryan2591  They just need to evidence they aren't able to travel due to your local area advisory warnings against travel. (unless you're in an area where hurricanes are prevalent.

If you refund them voluntarily Airbnb will still take their cut.

Thank you so much for sharing this feedback.  

my experience so far is that Airbnbs extenuating circumstances policy EXCLUDES exceptions for "weather" and esp hurricanes in coastal areas- during hurricane season. I have found as a host that if WE cancel a booking- Airbnb will not allow us to rebook those dates again (via Airbnb) -- and if the guest cancels the booking they pay whatever the fees/ daily penalty (in our case 50%) -- so the only people NOT being hosed in this situation is of course, Airbnb- THEY GET A CUT NO MATTER.  Here's my solution as a stand-up host-- ask the guest to cancel so that you can rebook the dates--calculate the penalty difference & refund the difference outside of the Airbnb platform (Venmo/Zelle...etc). Its the only work around I can think of so that guests arent getting screwed over because of Airbnbs  inflexible policies and hosts can still rebook the dates. its a mess thats for sure and Airbnb is not equipped 

Craig-And-Lori0
Level 2
Wisconsin, United States

We were hit by Ian.   I’ve requested at least 20 guests cancel their reservation which our policy allows for full refund.  But, 2 of the 20 guests instead requested on Airbnb that I cancel .  Airbnb gives 48 hrs for me to do that or they do it.  Either way I was hit with a $100 and $159 cancellation fee.  I am a super host and now working everyday with Airbnb to waive the fees and cancellation dings due to this catastrophic Hurricane Ian.  I’ve sent pictures and town documentation that the area is decimated, bridges out and no one but search and rescue allowed in.  Our buildings are evacuated with first floors wiped out by storm surge.  Silence now from then.  Where is the support and understanding?   

@Craig-And-Lori0 Request that your guests cancel if they cannot stay . Otherwise they will eventually receive a refund when they turn up and find no accomodation . airbnb is not understanding in the short term . simply tell the guest that when they request to cancel an option will appear for you to allow a full refund. Yes Airbnb will charge you . just try to get thru to your guests that a full refund will be sent through only when you receive their cancellation . then process the refund as full refund . do not send any thing else ,just let the system do it . good luck H

@Craig-And-Lori0 collect the evidence and then go back to Airbnb. You will (eventually) get the fines overturned. The EC policy excludes hurricanes where they are expected - I believe this is to stop guests cancelling if its raining NOT to penalise a host who is unable to host due to destroyed properties.

There isnt any-- Airbnb is a business and their "extenuating circumstances policy" excludes hurricane exceptions. We're in the same situation and here's what Im doing to handle the cancellations : 

I have found as a host that if WE cancel a booking- Airbnb will not allow us to rebook those dates again (on Airbnb) and we pay 10% fee (via Airbnb) -- and if the guest cancels the booking they pay whatever the fees/ daily penalty (in our case 50%) -- so the only people NOT being hosed in this awful situation is Airbnb- THEY TAKE THEIR CUT NO MATTER.  Here's my solution as a stand-up host regardless of the fact that Airbnb doesnt value hosts enough to make exceptions-- ask the guest to cancel so that you can rebook the dates--calculate the penalty difference & refund the difference outside of the Airbnb platform (Venmo/Zelle...etc). Its the only work around I can think of so that guests arent getting screwed over because of Airbnbs  inflexible policies and hosts can still rebook the dates. its a mess thats for sure and Airbnb is not equipped to handle all these issues -- so you're on your own to get creative and do the right thing by "what could have been" guests 

I wish I had a host/owner like you! I rented an airbnb in Charleston 9/29-10/3 for 4 nights in a 6br/6ba house for 6 friends for my 60th birthday. I was told by the host (property manager) that they have a no cancellation policy even with extenuating circumstances of Hurricane Ian (cat 1 hitting Charleston on Friday 10/1) as well as all schools, Government agencies closed and the governor declaring a state of emergency. Needless to say all of our flights were canceled on Thursday (and for some traveling Friday) and 2 of our 3 tours were canceled and restaurant reservation for Friday canceled. as well. I requested a refund and was told that the host declined the request. I offered to reschedule to the spring and they said no. I am out over $9000 for this with no recourse. Anyone have any suggestions? 

I wish I had a host/owner like you! I rented an airbnb in Charleston 9/29-10/3 for 4 nights in a 6br/6ba house for 6 friends for my 60th birthday. I was told by the host (property manager) that they have a no cancellation policy even with extenuating circumstances of Hurricane Ian (cat 1 hitting Charleston on Friday 10/1) as well as all schools, Government agencies closed and the governor declaring a state of emergency. Needless to say all of our flights were canceled on Thursday (and for some traveling Friday) and 2 of our 3 tours were canceled and restaurant reservation for Friday canceled. as well. I requested a refund and was told that the host declined the request. I offered to reschedule to the spring and they said no. I am out over $9000 for this with no recourse. Anyone have any suggestions? 

@Dorothy255 cancel with airbnb and request your refund with them and ask them to speak to the host as this is out of your control . I think that the host should have been aware of these situations and that they are being unfair H

Thank you Helen744---I did get in touch with Airbnb twice (not easy!) and they said it is up to the host and then when they checked with the host both times the host declined my request. I think it is totally unfair and unreasonable and at the very least that Airbnb should step in to offer me a partial refund or something. I'm sure 100's of people are in a similar situation as me in Florida--or Georgia or South Carolina with no recourse:(

@Dorothy255 I personally have had a flexible policy which during covid I found more fair to people unable to travel . although a stricter policy allows your host to keep more of your money if you cancel there are some circumstances where the host really needs to not come across as trying to keep money while not attempting or possibly not being able to provide the service they were contracted to provide. If the hosts hosting is not as advertised , and I assume that it is not ,if the whole area is shut down , then yes you are entitled to receive a refund with or without the hosts willingness. Hosts keeping large amounts of guests monies has always been a problem for me and would account for the aggression with which some guests began to ask for refunds and much of the conflict between guests and hosts. In future check the policy that you sign up for  and book with those who provide a 'flexible policy' Airbnb is the only site where a guest can receive a full refund up to 24 hours before arrival .Many hosts use this policy . H

Ask the host in messaging if you do manage to arrive if the house you have booked is available . and keep an eye on the hosts calendar to see if it opens again and if it becomes booked again during your days because if the host is booking your time to others then surely the decent thing is to provide a refund . H