I am a Canadian owner married to an American

Sylvie130
Level 2
Vicenza, Italy

I am a Canadian owner married to an American

Hello, I am married to an American and we are living in Europe for his work.  I do have the right to rent my condo in Vancouver BC only 6 months a year. It does cover my expenses and not more.  Today,  I have receive a message from Airbnb asking me if I had a American  Fiscal number. I do because of the US army and banking here. BUT I do pay my tax in Canada. What to do? Not giving them my number and continue like I was or else. I am so lost.

Thank you for your time

Sylvie

10 Replies 10
Alexandre105
Level 10
Bordeaux, France

Hello @Sylvie130,

You are on the french community center. So it will be difficult for us to help you.

Post again on US community.

Thank you. Merci

Sylvie

Kirstie
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hi @Sylvie130 ,

As @Alexandre105 mentioned, you posted your question in the French-speaking Community Center. I have now moved your post to the English-speaking Community Center, as you are more likely to get a reply here!

Have a lovely evening,

Kirstie

Thank you Kristie, I could not get out of the Fr site. I was typing www.airbnb.com and was redirect at the same place. Now hopefully I will have some help from someone that has been in my situation.

Sylvie

@Sylvie130 US citizens still have to pay taxes in the US no matter where they earn the money.  However, you're a Canadian, not a US citizen.  Do you and your husband file a US tax return jointly?  If so, the income would be reported on the joint return.  Still, there are exemptions and credits, and the US and Canada have a tax treaty for relief from double taxation.  Here's an article to get you started, but a Canadian or US accountant should be able to help.

https://m.taxesforexpats.com/canada/us-tax-preparation-in-canada.html

Sylvie130
Level 2
Vicenza, Italy

Ann, I am Canadian married to an American.  Airbnb is asking me if I have a fiscal number in USA. I do my tax in Canada and wonder why USA would want me to pay on the USA side. Because we live in Europe for my husband work I have to have a US fiscal number for banking... 

Sylve

@Sylvie130 by "fiscal number" do you mean Social Security number? My guess would be that Airbnb requires the SSN for the host of every listing in the US as they have to report the income to the IRS, and issue a form 1099 to you at the end of the year if you gross over a certain amount. That doesn't mean you have to pay tax on it necessarily. You probably need to consult a CPA or tax attorney about this. Airbnb does not withhold income tax from hosts, in any event.

Hello again, I will have to talk to the accountant because it is too confusing. My condo in in Canada, I do my income tax in Canada (I am just making even with the rental of my condo toward my fees) . Why would the USA want something from me. I cant believe that I am the only one in this situation.

Marit-Anne0
Level 10
Bergen, Norway

@Sylvie130 

Could it be that the proceeds are going into a US bank account ?

Sylvie130
Level 2
Vicenza, Italy

@Marit-Anne0, No It goes in my Canadian account.