I am confident a guest will break house rules and have a party, but I am afraid to cancel...

Julie1258
Level 2
Greenville, SC

I am confident a guest will break house rules and have a party, but I am afraid to cancel...

Hi,

I've been hosting for more than a year and have never cancelled nor had any major concerns about guests who book.  But I have a major concern about a booking coming up in a few weeks.  He's already asked to add more people than are allowed, and his story as to why keeps changing.  At first he was coming with his dad and that's evolved to he's coming with some friends.  However, there's both a big Clemson vs. FSU football game and a downtown music festival in that weekend.  I'm thinking he's planning on bringing folks to "his" downtown Airbnb, since I live in the middle of everything.  

Also, he claims to have stayed in Airbnbs "all the time" but has not one single review online.  How is that possible?  I am 99% sure he's planning to put several people in the space and/or have a party.  After all, where's his rich history of staying in Airbnb spaces?  He's hiding something.  Maybe had to change his profile?

How can I cancel without penalty?  I don't want him in my Airbnb, but I worked hard for all of the reviews on my page.  I don't want it to say that I cancelled on a guest!

Many thanks,

Julie

5 Replies 5
Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Julie1258  Call Airbnb, and ask them to cancel this reservation for you, penalty-free, on the basis that the guest has already asked to bring more people than you can accommodate, keeps changing his story as to his intentions for staying at your place, and that he has outright lied to you about staying in Airbnbs "all the time", since he has not one review. tell them you feel highly uncomfortable with this booking.

I assume this was an Instant Book, or you wouldn't have accepted, right? I'm wondering why you don't have requirements of previous good reviews and recommendations if you're using IB?

No way I'd let this guy stay. Trust your intuition, it will almost always be right.

Sarah, thanks for your response!  Yes, you've got it... this was an Instant Book.  And I've now changed my booking requirements to include good reviews as a requirement.  My first year hosting was generally worry free until this guest, but now I've put greater controls on bookings because of one bad apple.

Thanks also for the validation that listening to our intuition serves us well.  I needed to hear that.  I'm single and for the first time am uncomfortable at the thought of someone staying in my guest suite -- even if it is separate from the main house.

FYI, only because I know some readers are thinking it: The guest is a white male, so this is NOT a racism issue to be clear.  I welcome all good people in my home and promote diversity and inclusion.  This is a different scenario.

@Julie1258  Never crossed my mind that it had anything to do with racism. House trashing party boys come in all colors 🙂

Emily487
Level 10
KCMO, MO

@Julie1258 

@Sarah977  is right. Call AirBnB and have them cancel based on his changing stories. Don't say anything about the game or what you think might happen...just stick with what he has actually told you.

Do not compromise yourself and your property.  Have them cancel for you. 

Thanks for the helpful advice and validation.  I needed to hear this and will reach out to Airbnb.

Thanks again for taking the time to share your thoughts and feedback.