I get inundated with reqests from students to rent a room, only to find they want the whole property

Lynn16
Level 2
Newcastle-under-Lyme, United Kingdom

I get inundated with reqests from students to rent a room, only to find they want the whole property

They apply as a single guest then tell me a crewe of 8 will be coming to film at my house. When i decline their application this goes against me. How do I prevent this?

5 Replies 5
Edwin57
Level 10
New York, United States

Safety first that's number one when you found out it was 8 showing up instead of one,was the message posted on the massaging broad of Airbnb, you know what I mean 

Need proof then give it to Airbnb 

Elena87
Level 10
СПБ, Russia

@Lynn16

Did you the standard rate for hiring a place as a movie set is your monthly mortgage payment (or equivalent) for each day of hiring?

You could send them a 'special offer' this way if filming was agreeable to you - it may not be with the extra traffic -and see if they accept or decline.

You have a great place but it looks like someone wants to cut corners and save money on building a set.

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Hi @Lynn16

When you accept a booking do you only take guests with verified ID and ask them the purpose of their trip and why they chose your place. This should weed out those who want to film rather than stay.

You will not get penalised if your listing is set up for one or two and they tell you 8 are coming to stay. You just need to indicate they are breaking your house rules.

You would probably benefit from removing IB if you have it turned on, so you can vet each set of guests (as indicated above) before a booking is confirmed. Then you can simply decline those who aren't suitable./

@Lynn16

What I usually do in that kind of situation is I approve and then send a message to the guest along the lines of 

"I am accepting on the basis that you CLEARLY understand that this reservation is for 1 guest, and you agree to fully respect my house rule about  (1) no unregistered guest and you understand that (2) my listing is a private room in a shared home. 

Before you proceed with your reservation, please reply that you have read all the detailed descriptions abour my home and you agree to abide by my house rules. - Once you agree to my terms, I will be happy to be your host 🙂

Usually, most questionable guests decide to stay somewhere else (big surprise~). If the guest does not confirm and the reservation happens, then I can contact Airbnb and ask them to cancel with no penalty because the guest mentioned the possibility of breaking a house rule and they never got back to me. (This only happened once with an IB - and Airbnb was prompt in cancelling) 

This actually happens as students generally seek the ways to maximize their utility by paying the lowest price possible. This is generally the case with writing companies like https://papersmart.net, when students want everything at once and for free. However, there is nothing free in this capitalism-driven world. Certainly, there must be clear rules and detailed description of what they get and for what price.