I need some advice

Jeanne246
Level 2
Salisbury, NC

I need some advice

I am currently hosting someone for the weekend. I received an inquiry which turned out to supposedly be my guest’s husband. He stayed he noticed in the booking it was for 2 guests and thinks his wife is having an affair, wants me to call him and not mention anything about it to her. Now obviously I have no intention of speaking to him, but should I send a return saying something to the effect that I do not discuss guest’s Reservations or do I just ignore it totally? Should I tell her about it? I’m at a loss. Also knowing he has accessed the booking he has my address, what if he shows up?

24 Replies 24
Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

hilarious @Lisa723

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

@Jeanne246 Just ask the guest to go in and cancel the request and then change the password on her account so he can't log in again.

I do hope she is apologetic. This is her issue and she should sort it.

@Helen3  Reread Jeanne's posts- it was an Inquiry, not a booking request and the husband had his own account, which he sent the inquiry through. 

Exactly right Sarah. From the beginning:

a few days ago I received a booking request from a woman named “Susan.” I accepted and she arrived with a gentleman last night. Today I received a message through a booking inquiry from “John” stating Susan is his wife and is staying here. He noticed the booking was for 2 people and fears his wife is having an affair. Wanted me to call him without telling her. 

Obviously, that was not going to happen. I did tell Susan and she was not surprised. She assures John  will not show up here. I took the advice and accepted John’s booking so as not to deny it or impact my response time by just letting it expire . I figured now he will have to be the one to decline.

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Jeanne246

It sounds like you have already pre-approved John's enquiry, but just to clarify for the future, if it is a booking enquiry (rather than a booking request), you do not need to pre-approve nor decline it and this will not impact your acceptance rate. However, you do need to respond to it within 24 hours or your response rate will go down.

I would have responded saying, "I'm sorry, I'm just renting a room and do not get involved in my guests' personal matters." He would then have no way of booking and if he continued to message you would not be under any obligation to respond. You just have to respond to the first message within 24 hours.

Anyway, it's true that he would probably not want to book the dates anyway, but once you have approved it, he could and then he could see your address, phone number etc. Of course, if he was accessing his wife's account, he already has this information, but he could have also seen the booking confirmation for two people in her emails without having access to her Airbnb account for the full details.

I'm sure this will probably all blow over though. If the wife doesn't seem concerned about him showing up, that's a good sign.

Also, when a guest books for two people, I always ask who they are travelling with, including that person's full name.

Helen they each have their own accounts, although it seems he either knows her account information or she had it on her computer or something.

John1080
Level 10
Westcliffe, CO

I would ignore it altogether, not respond to the husband and not mention it to the wife, let her finish her stay and let her deal with it when she gets home. 

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

@Sarah977  I am not sure by what @Jeanne246 said that the booking came through under the husband's profile. You are right though it seems it was an inquriy

@Jeanne246 could you clarify.

John1080
Level 10
Westcliffe, CO

@Sarah977@Helen3@Jeanne246 stated she is "currently hosting someone for the weekend," so I'm assuming the wife is there and the husband has sent a message to her, not an Airbnb inquiry to stay. 

He sent an inquiry for a future date