I would like your opinion on this response to my truthful review please.

Answered!
Mary-Ann0
Level 10
Sun City, AZ

I would like your opinion on this response to my truthful review please.

I have read many times here in the Community Center to please tell the truth about inappropriate behavior by guests so to give a heads up to future hosts.

So I left a truthful review and now I have an issue with my guest's public response to my review.  I feel my review was appropriate and because Airbnb asks us to tell the truth and other hosts want to hear the truth ... well I told the truth in my review and this is what happened.

My review:

------ and her husband --- were quiet and unobtrusive guests; and they “didn't need a thing" the entire time they stayed. Except for a few short and cordial chats I didn't see much of them for they were busy relaxing in the sun and out keeping to their vacation agenda for the entire month they stayed. I was very happy to see that they partook of the citrus and used the apartment to the fullest; appreciated the warm weather and “enjoyed" the place. ------- obliged me and took a current picture of the potted plants off the patio porch and also of a quail – thanks -----! And --- even replaced a part that broke inside the toilet tank and also cleared the spout aerator of mineral deposit buildup; boy, how I appreciate that! Thanks so much Don and thanks for the nice remarks shortly after you arrived saying my place was “so clean and everything". I wish I could leave it at that but I can't because unfortunately the apartment was not left reasonably clean and anywhere near like it was found; and then there was damage to some costly but necessary items I am very sorry to say. I can say though that we were able to work out the damage costs in a civilized way - but because of the type of damage and the way the apartment was left, I think that ------- may be a guest who is better suited for hotels rather than Airbnb.

Guest's response:

Before we left MaryAnn's apartment, we swept the floors (with a broom that should have been replaced several years ago), tried to vacuum the very aged carpet with a small electric broom that would not pick up any dirt let alone small pieces of thread, washed all the dishes (there is no dishwasher to get the coffee smell out of the coffee cups), emptied the refrigerator of all food, emptied the trash, and gathered up the dirty sheets and towels. We did not scrub the bathroom, but we wiped it down. When we rented the apartment, we were charged a CLEANING FEE and that money should be used to have a professional cleaning service in to prepare for the next guests. If MaryAnn expects her guests to leave the apartment spic and span--then she should be charging a CLEANING DEPOSIT, and doing a walk-through at the end of a stay, so that the money can be refunded to guests who do the cleaning for her. The damaged item was a sheet with a K-Y Jelly spot on it, that Mary Ann says she could not get out-possibly she needs to change laundry detergent. We paid for a new set of sheets. After the nasty private feedback that I have gotten from MaryAnn, I will not ever recommend her place to anyone. And I can only say that if she continues to treat her guests in this manner once they are gone, it won't be long before cleaning will not be a problem, because she will not have any guests to clean up after!

Now I have this user's angry nasty response that I feel is inappropriate because she referred to "K-Y Jelly" as the stain on the sheets and in my review I never mentioned "sheets" so I feel that mentioning the damage as a stain on the sheets does not fit and a little bit vulgar.  Also it is a tad threatening because of the angry hostile tone and the threat of "she will not have any more guests to clean up after" statement.   The damage costs were resolved in the resolution center in which the guest wanted to “bargain” and not have to pay so much and so I did and she agreed to it and she should not be saying that I “made her pay for new sheets” it is not the way it happened.  And it was not a “spot” it was a large stain of I don’t know what on the fitted sheet and also on a matching pillow case of a good set of sheets; and also she lied about wiping down the bathroom and cleaning up too.  Then the ditty about cleaning fees is not the way Airbnb works that I know of.  And her complaint about my private feedback was exaggerated and uncalled for because it was private and not public – but now she has gotten the public’s attention. I believe this is very ugly and not only reflects badly on the guest but reflects badly on Airbnb because of the "K-Y Jelly" statement, the vehemently hostile tone, the threat of “no more guests to clean up after” and the complaints about cleaning fees and private feedback which are both sanctioned by Airbnb. I think if Airbnb wants reviews to be truthful then they should not let a guest lash back at a host with this kind of “kitchen sink” rage filled tirade for being truthful in, what I thought, an appropriate way.  My review is decent - the response from my guest is not.

I am open to all suggestions and feedback about this.  How could this have been prevented? Thank you.

2 Best Answers
Wendy-and-Markus0
Level 10
United States

@Mary-Ann0:

I agree with what others have mentioned with regards to suggesting you write shorter reviews in the future, if the issue was resolved, I wouldn't recommend mentioning it. It is tricky to have guests use the same towels/sheets etc for longer stays. Did you provide replacements in the unit?

My suggestions:

Shorter Review: ------ and her husband --- were quiet, helpful, and unobtrusive guests. Thanks so much Don and thanks for the nice remarks shortly after you arrived saying my place was “so clean and everything". Glad to know they enjoyed our unit as much as they did during their month long stay.

They helped you with something and in return there was a grease mark on one of the sheets. It happens.

-For month long stays, offer a weekly light housekeeping service: freshen sheets/towels, clean the bathroom (especially), and touch up in the kitchen type deal. Or consider offering a full on cleaning service every 2 weeks. Whether you build it into your nightly rate or state that guests are responsible for a 2nd cleaning fee for month long stays in your rules. This helps protect your home and the things in it.

-While we hope everyone knows the golden rule to wash the dishes one uses, that cannot be assumed. If this is an expectation you have, I would add it to your house rules.

-If for some reason the guest refuses the weekly or bi-monthly housekeeping service, you can either make it a non-negotiable item OR expect for your home to need a deeper cleaning than usual.

I don't want to judge you on your $100 cleaning fee (we charge $50 for a studio and pay our housekeeper $60, we recognize others in our area charge farless but I am not willing to compromise quality, dependability, and trusthworthiness that the job will get done right each and every single time.) During a few longer stays we have had, we have offered housekeeping on a weekly or every 10 days or so.

With the disclaimer that I am not trying to judge you on your cleaning fee, I did check similar listings in your area, the first that popped up under entire home was a 4 bedroom house which accommodates 8 people, they charge a $150 cleaning fee. Maybe the guests felt justified they paid a "premium cleaning fee" and felt them taking out the trash, clearing the fridge, rinsing the dishes etc was enough after a month long use.

Even if our listing offered a full on kitchen (we don't) our housekeeper would still be replacing and or washing all the dishes/utensils etc provided in our unit.

Just some thoughts:)

View Best Answer in original post

Ann39
Level 2
Denver, CO

I don't think you can prevent this because there are always people who are defensive about any complaints. Yes, we need to leave honest feedback and you did an excellent job of complimenting the guests for what they did well, that you found them delightful, etc. I'm sure that hosts differ as to what they expect from guests in the way of leaving the place clean. I think your review was appropriate. And I think her response to the review was combative and rather immature. I'd forget it, knowing we can always expect people such as these every now and again.

View Best Answer in original post

41 Replies 41

Aww thank you @Colin,

I can see that you are kind and trying to help. And you are right – I am angry; but it was mostly at myself for writing that review and opening myself up for a response like that.

And believe me or not I have moved on from that guest’s response - I changed my house rules and price, fees, etc. and have admitted (here and to myself) that I did not use good judgement when writing my review.  I am able to move on because I know I did try hard to do the right thing; I failed but I learned from my failure. I have chalked this up as a learning experience and have tried to express this a couple of times in this thread.

What I think I need to do now is just not read this thread anymore because I thought it was resolved but then I get pulled back in when I read a new reply and especially when I feel I have been criticized unfairly.  As you say my "wounds are fresh".

So this will be my last reply here and in addition, if there are any members out there who have the authority to remove this entire post that would be okay with me – I wish I had never posted it - it is embarrassing.

And I'll be taking a break from Airbnb anyway because we are starting our off season period soon and I close up my apartment for the summer.

Thanks again Colin for your caring, helpful reply and take care.

Sincerely,

Mary Ann

The secret is to wait till just before 14 days after their departure and post your review....they cannot respond after 14 days....so 13 days,23 hours and 55 minutes....post.

that being said, you have to expect some wear and tear on linens and I can not think of many stains that won't come out.

best luck

Amy, when does the count-down start? Upon check-out time? I've heard of this, but I'm always worried about getting the timing wrong. 

Evil genious, haha good point.

I believe there is a second countdown for review responses, which is only fair
Eileen4
Level 10
Champlain, Canada

@Mary-Ann0 For starters, I think some of the comments you've received from other hosts are a tad harsh. Especially being told to calm down. That's a passive-aggressive response if ever there was one and, in the future, just ignore responses like it. Those are just fighting words for those trying to relieve themselves of the strain of a bad day, week or month, and they are doing so by randomly flaming another person.

Your review was fair. I understand, also, why you went into detail. Clearly these guests had both pluses and minuses and you detailed both in order to be balanced. I certainly get that. I wrote a similarly detailed review/description for a difficult time I had with a repeat guest who had been wonderful on his first visit, but then left others in charge on his second. The people he left in charge made and left a big mess. Since the repeat guest had done the booking, and I would not want to inflict his friends on a fellow host, I stated both his positive and negative attributes, focussing on how his leaving others in charge was a bit irresponsible. (He's also ignored my messages to him in the aftermath.) My review sounded a lot like yours and I have no regrets for having written it. 

The difference for me was that I simply ignored his feedback. I reckoned it would be defensive and possibly nasty, so I simply deleted the notification and did not go to read it. My dealings with him were finished and the only thing I would get from reading his response would be grief. You may want to do that in the future. 

These guests sound like the sort who did a bare minimum of cleaning throughout their month-long stay and then did a hasty job at the end so that they could say they did something. The fact is that paying only $45 a night probably gave them the impression that your place wasn't worth much (sorry, but that's their perspective I'm pointing out here, not mine).

I have both a budget and an upmarket Airbnb place (the upmarket one is mine; the budget one is one I run for a relative). The budget one is definitely more problematic. There's more pilfering, more broken plates and furniture; more garbage and mess left behind. It's priced at roughly $45-90 a night depending on the season and I can tell you that as soon as my one year contract (I made the deal with my relative) is up, I'm not going to do it any more.

The difference between the two places has shown me that running a lower end place--especially one not catering to outdoorsy types or campers--is a huge headache. The place is self-contained, btw, not a room in a house or apartment, so keeping an eye on things is far more difficult. I've written negative reviews for about 6 out of 10 guests lately, although the reviews are brief and to the point, i.e., "did minor damage and left garbage behind," or "left the curtain out of the tub for showers, soaking the floor repeatedly." 

I don't know if it's possible for you to do this, but could you do some upgrades and charge more? The neighbourhood and location would be a factor here in your decision. If that's not an option--there's no point doing an upgrade for a modest neighbourhood, for example--I would also consider not doing month-long stays and charging more for the shorter terms ones. I no longer accept stays over 15 days and I am always booked. Or conversely, if you do want to do month-longs, then add the stipulation that a weekly cleaning charge will be included and that you will be sending in a cleaner, which they must agree with. If they argue and say they'll clean it themselves, don't negotiate. It's a cleaner or they're not going to get their booking. Just specify that for "reasons of hygiene" they must agree. No one wants to sound un-hygienic.

Try not to lose heart with the negative responses your post and review evoked here on this forum. I posted, on a different host forum, about a difficult Airbnb stay I had in Europe where the host was terribly disorganized. The place was beautiful and because it was my birthday I allowed myself a high-end rental. But the kitchen had very little in it--as in plates and cutlery--and the hot water and wifi kept cutting out. After a couple of the days, the host started treating me like I was the problem. For about $150 a night, I was not impressed.

When I went to the foum to ask for advice about how to write a tough review for a fellow host, I was repeatedly flamed by hosts who got defensive--it got so bad that I eventually quit the forum. I understand that we as hosts can get defensive, but I challenge anyone to take cold showers for a week and deal with an intermittent wifi connection too, especially when roaming costs for a cell are prohibitive. With an elderly and ill parent in a nursing home, it was important for me to be in touch with my family.

Try not to take anything posted here personally. It takes all sorts to make up a forum and of course anything critical is going to push someone else's buttons. Personally, I think you did the right thing and you have nothing to feel bad about. Just don't read responses to bad reviews in the future. In my opinion, it's just not worth the grief. 

Miguel39
Level 2
New York, NY

Maryanne just the fact that you spent so much time going on and on and on and on and on and on and i only read thru like a littlw bit makes you seem like someone who would blow something waaaay out of proportion. Dont be so obsessed with the truth, soo many things are better left unsaid. You made money, you were paid, negotiating is anyones right shxt happens your place is as ot was, not traumatic like you sound, thats the truth. Everyone is telling you in other words believe it or not your wrong.

@Miguel39 That's what happens when people feel flamed. They get defensive. That's why civility is so important on a forum like this, I.e., telling someone they blow things out of proportion isn't helpful. We're all hosts dealing with the same stuff; for myself, if I can't contribute constructively, I say nothing. @Mary-Ann0'S first post made a lot of sense to me. She was trying to be fair and it didn't work out. 

Lol sorry it was my first time pretty much ever contributing to a forum, I can see why people get caught up in this, it's easy to be harsh like I was. But I will also say, sometimes providing straightforward hard truth is constructive sometimes it isn't, it's a matter of opinion ultimately. Sometimes being sweet and passive isn't constructive sometimes it is. 

Don't make me get my philosophy text book on you. Lol, no I'm joking, I hear you but the lady is being reminded repeatedly by most of us, in much nicer words, that she was wrong, she opened a can of worms she very well avoided. My guests currently in the other room have some serious cultural differences in regard to hygiene and cleanliness, it's happened a few times. I noticed they must not know any better. I've had to go far above my cleaning fee. That's not to say the guests she had weren't careless, maybe, but she effectively make her case, well she sort of does, but again shes pretty much just wrong. And yet she only agrees with herself, going on and on defending what really wasn't that huge of a problem at all. I think as business people, in other words as hosts we must know shxt happens, and as service providers, the guests the client is always going to get every benefit of the doubt until it is clear the client is just wrong. Messed up sheets, really? My current guests accidently stained my shower curtains flooded my toilet twice, they were embarrassed, I fixed it, cleaned it. They didn't intentionally damage or blatantly show any sort of disregard to the space. I've made my point. I'm sorry for being the mean blogger if I was even tho I wasn't, but sort of harsh yea. 

It's not hard to respond with constructive criticism that isn't harsh. Mary Ann was emotional, but so what? It's still possible to provide helpful feedback.

This isn't a contest to see who has the best ideas--it's a forum for mutual support. That said, I'm outta here. 

Lol oh tag team me with a suttle passive diss. I like how you include me in a message, suggest your opinion in a kind humble tone, and then swiftly announce your no longer going to be here. Right after suggesting "M mutual support". 

No bye, no take care, just out?  Hmm, harsh maybe? I could go back and site why when what where Maryanne was well wrong and not so nice actually, thus why I was harsh, but blah blah blaaah blaaah... good thing this is all online, I would never ever be so brave to speak the truth lol just kidding,sort of, maybe..

Peace hugs and kisses and a some luv, sweet juicy love not harsh luv. I'm really actually reeeaallllyyy genuinely nice, I only fight for peace and luv or on airbnb but I'm definitely outtttttaaa here my sweet hosteys 😉

Beautiful.