Infants and Additional Charge

Infants and Additional Charge

Hello,

We have had a few bookings and inquiries where guests have booked ignoring/missing our pre-booking messenge and house rules stating that we count all guests regardless of age in the count.

We currenly have an inquiry where the guest said we can not charge for infants as per Airbnb's policy they are free.

I searched in the help and found a blurb stating hosts may have an additional charge for children it does not specifically mention infants though.  I would like to send the guest the policy rather then calling each time this happens.  I am sure this is going to keep happening and I do not wish to keep calling to cancel the reservations or get into potentially contentious messenging with guests.

Thanks

13 Replies 13
Gerry-And-Rashid0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Delphine-And-Michael0

I can;t see your listing as you seem to have removed it as it's not visible on your profile.

There seems to be some confusion in the language in your message above: you talk about everyone being involved in the 'count' of visitors, which is different to what your guests are taking about which is everyone is charged a fee (no matter what age). Is there just some confusion about this or do you want to charge for infants?

@Delphine-And-Michael0

From what I understand, it is up to the host to determine whether infants and/or children stay for free but hosts are allowed to set the max limit of #of guests to include adults, children and infants regardless of age.

The way I understand it is, if you do not discriminate based on age (for instance charging different amounts depending on age) you CAN charge for an extra person.  In that particular case the extra person happens to be an infant. If the rules were same for an extra adult (instead of an infant or child) then this would be allowed. This is just based on how I remember understanding the rules and policies so please try searching the Help center about policies related to discrimination to be sure.

Because most people assume babies stay for free, this would have to be stated VERY clearly in your house rules. Good luck!!

We charge a base price with each additional guest after 3 charged an extra fee no matter what the guests age.  In our messenge we state to book all guests as adults so that way we have all guests counted and also if Airbnb later decides all children are free they are still counted.  All we care about is that the count can not exceed 6 and that all that are staying are counted.  We charge the same for an adult, child or infant.

Last time I spoke to Airbnb on this matter they said our wording in our house rules and prebooking messenge are fine.  They called the guest and canceled the reservation when the guest would not agree to be charged for an infant.

I was looking for a write up in Airbnb's help files that states explicitly that infants can be charged because now once again we have someone inquiring to book that states Airbnb does not allow a host to charge for infants. I would like to avoid that each time this happens that I do not need to call Airbnb to sort it out and just point the guest the wording on the Airbnb site.

So below is what I previously sent to the guest from Airbnb's Help, he is stating that he booked his inquiry correctly and because the way airbnb defines infants they are free he is not accepting this wording as being able to charge for an infant that it only counts for children over 2 years.

The real problem here is that guests use the system correctly by choosing infant and they believe since they did and it calculated their rate they believe any other change you are asking them to make are improper even if you have placed it in your house rules and prebooking messenge.

Since this is the second time this has happened I thought maybe there is some other wording that would end discussions like these instead of calling Airbnb.

Airbnb Help Start

Can children travel on Airbnb?

Yes, children can travel on Airbnb, but some hosts have specified that their space may not be safe or suitable for children or infants.  Infants (children under 2 years old) aren't counted as guests when you're booking a reservation and don't incur any extra costs. Some hosts count children as guests, which can add an additional guest fee to the reservation.

Airbnb Help End

@Delphine-And-Michael0

the easiest solution is to uncheck children under 2 in your house rules.

Your guests will have a choice to book infant as a child or  as an adult. In both cases the price will be as for adult.

@Branka-and-Silvia0

Thanks I believe your solution covers most cases, except if I guest puts in an inquiry that asks why you do not accept infants.

A guest can still demand to book with an infant according to Airbnb's policies if they decide your reaons are not a concern for them.

@Delphine-And-Michael0

sure , but they can not instant book infants as infants (for free and not counting towards your max no of guests ) 

I will call Airbnb and ask for them to explicitly state hosts can charge for infants by putting it in their house rules since there doesnt appear to be an adequafe document that someone can identify thus far to direct a guest to.

Thanks for your suggestion I will use that temporarily until I receive something from Airbnb

Pat81
Level 2
Hermanus, South Africa

I have had similar issues and feel strongly that infants should be charged for. The reality is they cost just as much to host, as an adult, if not more! Bathing, cleaning of bedlinen and sorting any stains and breakages, costs the host. I have excellent infant facilities and have become a popular host for young couples with an infant, however the booking system needs to be sorted to allow for extra charges for an infant. I advise in my listing that a third adult or an infant is charged for, however the booking system doesnt apply this extra charge. Completely frustrating and bizarre. It is annoying and a negative experience for a guest to have to engage in a series of correspondence and extra payment arrangements for such a simple thing. Please Airbnb, change this procedure urgently and allow for extra infant charges.

Pat81
Level 2
Hermanus, South Africa

I have had similar issues and feel strongly that infants should be charged for. The reality is they cost just as much to host, as an adult, if not more! Bathing, cleaning of bedlinen and sorting any stains and breakages, costs the host. I have excellent infant facilities and have become a popular host for young couples with an infant, however the booking system needs to be sorted to allow for extra charges for an infant. I advise in my listing that a third adult or an infant is charged for, however the booking system doesnt apply this extra charge. Completely frustrating and bizarre. It is annoying and a negative experience for a guest to have to engage in a series of correspondence and extra payment arrangements for such a simple thing. Please Airbnb, change this procedure urgently and allow for extra infant charges.

Evelyn86
Level 3
New York, NY

Yes I believe infants should incur charges. What age range is considered infant anyway? My listing says not suitable for children under 2. Why? An infant requires a portacrib or playpen and bedding to sleep. A different set of toiletries. A courtesy car seat and stroller if parents plan to take them around. A high chair. Also my tenants will definitely be aware of crying babies at all hours. If they are under 2,  (as my granddaughter is), the whole unit will have to be childproofed: outlet covers on every outlet, cabinet locks, cleaning products and toiletries put on high, shade cords shortened or secured, making sure chairs are sturdy and won't tip over, hide all pens and markers, supply spill proof sippy cups and food bowls, sharp table edges covered. Remember, they Put EVERYTHING in their mouths. Put away anything breakable like vases or wine glasses within reach. Believe me, my grandchildren have stayed in my apt. It was extra work prepping for them and extra work when they left. And yes, one of the tenants in the building mentioned the late night crying! Child proof gates on windows are required in some states as well. I love babies. But if a guest just happened to show up with one without letting me know, I would be the one having sleepless nights.! 

@Evelyn86 

EXACTLY ! With all that extra work / furniture / items... infants should be charged at lest 3x more than any adult extra guest... and it would still not be worth it. (we charge extra guest just 10€ and our average stay is just 2 days)

I agree - we have had more stains and much more cleanup when families with infants stay at our place.  AirBnB must change this policy as its nonsense.  We are not running a hotel with special rates to attract families with small children.