Inquires

Robynn2
Level 1
Rhinebeck, NY

Inquires

I am new at this and still trying to understand the rules...

I have received an inquiry and i replied to questions and concerns, today I received another interested guest who wants to book at the same time (even for an extra night)...how long do i have to wait for the first party to reply ? 

4 Replies 4
Emiel1
Level 10
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands

@Robynn2 

If you pre-approved the first  party, it is up to them to act as quick as possible...There is no need to wait, you could let them know there is somebody also now interested, but in general simply wait for the first guest making the actual booking.

Emilia42
Level 10
Orono, ME

First come first serve. Whoever is first to confirm with their credit card wins. The other should have bought it when they saw it. In my honest opinion.

@Robynn2  As @Emilia42 states, first to pay gets the room. Holding rooms for an inquiry is a loosing game.

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Robynn2  Inquiries don't necessarily lead to bookings, in fact, the majority of them, I think, don't. It usually has nothing to do with what you've messaged them back at all, unless they were asking for you to bend your house rules or give them a discount and you let them know that wouldn't be possible. You'd think that after you took the time to answer them they'd at least message you back to thank you, but most won't. 

A guest may just be testing the waters and have sent out Inquiries to several hosts, maybe even asking the same questions and sounding eager to book. So don't think about Inquirers too much- just answer them and if they book, they book.

I did once have a guest who sent an Inquiry and she had great reviews and we seemed to really connect and share the same sense of humor in the couple back and forths we had. She had said she needed to book an airline ticket and would get back to me. When I didn't hear back from her for about 5 days, and hadn't gotten another booking for those dates, I did message her again, saying no pressure, just wondering if she still wanted to come, as if I got a Request for those dates, I'd have to take it. She messaged back right away, saying she has a fear of flying (altho she flies quite a bit) and had been procrastinating buying the ticket, but that she did definitely still want to come, thanked me for booting her into action, and booked an hour later after securing her flight. She turned out to be one of my fave guests and we still keep in touch.

So just play it by ear- if it's a guest you think you'd like to have, nothing wrong with nudging them once if another booking hasn't come in.