Is it bad etiquette to ask a booked guest to run a couple more verifications?

Jim75
Level 2
Orlando, FL

Is it bad etiquette to ask a booked guest to run a couple more verifications?

I've seen a lot of similar questions about minimally-verified and unreviewed guests, and I had one hit my instant-book while I didn't have the settings on the way I wanted (I have them set correctly now). Just for my own peace of mind, before handing the keys to my home to a minimally-verified stranger and his three friends, is it ok to ask him to run another verification or two? He seems like a cool guy, I just don't want him to feel harassed in any sort. Honestly, I'm sure it's going to be all fine either way. 

4 Replies 4
Amy98
Level 1
Peachtree City, GA

I'm also curious.  I've had 3 different situations where they are asking to stay for a month with 2-day notice with minimal verifications.  When I ask for information relating to the contract they have with a local company, they have said it's confidential.  I'm not comfortable with this lack of information.  They are also arriving without transportation.  This would not be a concern, however in the last 3 months I've had 3 different guys try to book.  What am I missing??  For the sake of transparency, it should be a non-issue to ask for more information.  If there's no info, there's no trust, in my opinion.

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Do you have your settings for fully verified guests only. If not, I would set it to this so they need to provide photo ID.

Don't have instant book on, and only confirm a reservation once  you are comfortable with the guests and are clear about the purpose of their visit.

You can also ask for the names of the all the guests staying at your property.

Caitlin16
Level 2
Redondo Beach, CA

After just one bad experience with a guest who did not have any previous reviews was enough for me to change my settings to no longer allow Instant Book and no longer accept guests that haven't used Airbnb before. Save yourself the headache and change your settings too! Let someone else vet your potential guests!

Andrea9
Level 10
Amsterdam, Netherlands

@Jim75

After the fact, I'd certainly say yes.

The full name of your guest is on the reservation, but you are allowed to ask him for full names of all of the other guests.

Tell him there is ID check at check in.

I'm sure you have a right to do this in your part of the world. Just handle it in a cool way, and if he's not okay with it, then that would raise a red flag with me.

I have to do this as part of my city's regulations and I write down the ID #s. Hotels and any other commercial rentals do that too.

The pleasant side effect is that guests somehow take more notice of the fact that they are now registered.