Is it possible to block a calendar date for check ins only, and not block it for stays?

Answered!
Rp1
Level 7
Winnipeg, Canada

Is it possible to block a calendar date for check ins only, and not block it for stays?

In other words, there are days (once a month) when neither my co-host nor I can do a check in, but that date can still be available for someone to stay (as in, their booking includes that date).  Is there a way to block a date on the calendar so that it only prevents check-ins, but doesn't prevent bookings that include that day?

1 Best Answer
Kelly149
Level 10
Austin, TX

@Rp1  Nope. You may block certain days of the week but not a particular singular day

View Best Answer in original post

22 Replies 22
Kelly149
Level 10
Austin, TX

@Rp1  Nope. You may block certain days of the week but not a particular singular day

Andrew963
Level 2
Suffolk Park, Australia

Hi Kelly149,

Not sure if the Airbnb platform has changed since you wrote this answer 3 years ago, but I've replied below in this forum, and the answer may assist you.

Cheers, and with kind regards,

Andrew, Byron, Australia.

@Kelly149 is correct; @Rp1. You can limit what days of the week are allowed for check in (but not stays), but not specific calendar days.

Perhaps you could note the issue in the listing description? I know not all the guests read the description, but if you put it prominently enough, maybe it will help.

Rp1
Level 7
Winnipeg, Canada

Good idea, guys, we may need to implement that.

GREAT idea! It would be so helpful to us to be able to set dates where we're not around to check people in, but if they're already here all's well. Especially with some longer-term summer rentals... 

AirBNB? Can we have this option? 

Jeannette0
Level 8
Kooskia, ID

I would think you could manually require a 2-day minimum (or whatever scenario floats your boat) starting the day before.

Martin-and-Ingrid0
Level 4
Oeiras, Portugal

I am having the same issue for only some weeks when my husband is traveling. I am working during the day and can't do the cleaning and the check-in. 

Now we have those weeks blocked so we will not get new guests, but we can have guests that come in the weekend and check-out during the week. 

I can't say that check-in on certain days is not allowed because it is only for some weeks.

It would be nice to have the option to block check-ins only on certain days but allow check-outs.

I found the option to do it:

go to edit listings - availability - trip lenght - additional requirements.

You can block certain weeks and days for check in and set the minimum stay in that period.

This is the easiest.  Thanks!

Steve143
Level 10
Limerick, Ireland

Hello  @Rp1,

There is a way to block checkin on a specific date, say 14th of June, as opposed to specific days like all Mondays, while allowing guests to stay through that date. It's a bit indirect and requires that you enable the rule-sets feature. Hence this message is a bit long but the procedure does work. I've tested it on my own listing.

First enable rule-sets.

================

I did it by going to the link below.

https://www.airbnb.com/hosttools

On that page scroll down to the "Work the way you want" section and click on "Use the tools now" link. On the next page scroll to the "reservations" section and click on "Use the multi-calendar".

It then set the multicalendar as the default calendar view even though I have only one listing.

To see the full size month calendar view click on a listing's title. You can then click on the date for you wish to disallow checkins.

Now create a rule-set for the date you wish to block checkin on.

================================================

It is possible, using rule-sets,  to set no checkins on a particular date while allowing guests to stay through that date.

You create a rule-set that disallows checkins on whatever day of the week the date is and then apply it to that date.

Go to the month view of your calendar and click on the date. In the box that appears on the right scroll down and click in the "Rule-sets" box and choose "Add rule-set". Then scroll down to the "Availability" section and click on "Customise" for the "Check-in and checkout days". Now check the "Guests can't check in on" box for the day of the week corresponding to your desired date. Then click "Save" and "Save" again.

I tried it for my listing for the 27th of August which is a Monday so I selected that guests can't check in on Mondays. When I searched for my listing on the map it then allowed me to select a checkin date of the 26th of August and checkout on the 28th but, as hoped, didn't allow selecting a checkin on the 27th.

It does, of course show the problem highlighted by Zappa, meaning that guests will see your calendar marked as if that day is blocked. That is the calendar's visual representation doesn't differentiate between a fully blocked date and one that's blocked only for checkins 😞

Steve.

Teresa473
Level 2
Morpeth, United Kingdom

Hi Steve

Thank you for posting this workaround, I've just applied a rule set to a couple of days in a specific week where I'm not available to do a changeover so if guests check in on a day prior to & check out after the dates I've applied the rule to, they can still book. Extremely useful 🙂

Best Wishes, Teresa.

I'm new to Airbnb and have found that you can only use additional host tools if you have at least 6 listings.  This seems ridiculous to me.  Am I missing something or some other way to use the tools people are talking about?  The only options I have are to set my prices and make days available or unavailable. 

So @Steve143 I just now had a reason to block check-ins on some specific upcoming dates and your workaround works around like a boss, thank you so much.

Thanks for this info! The host tools link didn't work... so I just skipped that part and went straight to the multi-calendar and found everything there that I needed to block some "check-in" dates in July. Then I checked online and am able to see the availability for the dates if the guest wants to check in before or after the "blocked" dates. Much appreciated! 🙂