Lockdown in Ontario

Jason123
Level 2
Hong Kong

Lockdown in Ontario

Hi all,

There are new lockdown restrictions for short term rentals in Ontario from Dec 26-Jan 23, 2021.

The government documentation says,

Short-term rentals (e.g., cottages, cabins):

• Only to be provided to individuals who are in need of housing

• Does not apply to short-term rental accommodations that were reserved before the Safe at Home Restrictions period

I can't seem to find a government office that I can actually talk to someone and who knows an answer for sure. 

My understanding from informal discussions with other owners is, 

- we can't take new reservations for the lockdown period

- if guests booked from before the announcement, they can keep the booking provided they don't violate the indoor gathering rules by mixed people from different households.

Does anyone have any further information on this new restriction?
TIA and stay safe everyone.
Jay

8 Replies 8
M199
Level 10
South Bruce Peninsula, Canada

Hi @Jason123 in Hong Kong 

Ontario Host here.  Another host and I looked at the government document, your question is the same as most of us had.  Between a Superhost and myself, we decided and agreed that the best thing to do is honor existing confirmed reservations.  As well, neither of us are willing to take chances and have blocked off our calendars for the duration of the lockdown.  Our take on the housing is that it may be acceptable to provide housing, housing in my thoughts would be longterm and not a short period of less than 30 days or multiple 2-3 day or weekend rentals.

Happy Holidays to All

Sharon1193
Level 2
Toronto, Canada

Hi, I am also trying to sort through this. I have a booking with what I assume are two households (two couples) on New Years. It was booked in October, so I know this can be honoured, but not sure to probe about two households. Any support/suggestions welcome.

I have asked mixed households during lockdown to rebook/cancel. I was fairly new when some guestS bookEd so pricing was very low. I have also let guest know I will honour pricing for any future date. 

M199
Level 10

Hello Ontario STR Hosts

@Lawrene0, @alexandria

Once again as of tomorrow April 3, 2021 Ontario is going into a COVID-19 LOCKDOWN for 30 days.

To see the rules go to www.todocanada.ca/rules-restrictions-for-shutdown-in-ontario/

I’m assuming we’re fine this time, assuming you aren’t having more than 5 people at a time. I don’t see anything about STR. 

Thanks, @M199 . Spent the morning getting all my April bookings cancelled or rescheduled (now to 2022...) It was easier this time. Everyone is getting used to it. Just one left who isn't budging -- yet.

@Ryan2272 , no, STRs are not allowed unless it is for those in need of housing. See this:

Short-term rentals

Short-term rentals (for example, cottages, cabins) are only to be provided to individuals who are in need of housing.

from https://www.ontario.ca/page/enhancing-public-health-and-workplace-safety-measures-provincewide-shutd...

If you are renting to people in need of housing, you're good. If you, like me with my treehouse, are renting only to holiday-makers, it's time to shift everyone and block the calendar again.  😞

M199
Level 10

@Lawrene0 

Spent my afternoon messaging guests, trying to get them to rebook at a future date.  Was lucky enough to have only 5 bookings.  So far 2 have cancelled, 1 rebooked.  The kicker is the last 2 who are booked each for 5 days haven't responded.  We'll see what happens.🤞

Lori219
Level 2
Oakville, Canada

I have a vacation rental booked for the coming long weekend and with this new lockdown I have requested to move it.  The host has offered me only one weekend as an option and I can live with that but they have raised the rates by 40%.  They advised that it is OK for me to travel to their property during lockdown.  Customer service is not working with me on this one.  Not sure what my options are here.