Map function slowing down load time for site - site is UNUSABLE FOR YOUR POTENTIAL GUESTS

Kimberly106
Level 1
New York, NY

Map function slowing down load time for site - site is UNUSABLE FOR YOUR POTENTIAL GUESTS

Hello,

I tried posting a thread about this earlier - I was asked a couple of cursory questions by Quincy, but there has been no improvement.  So I'm posting this as an appeal to the other hosts for assistance; perhaps becuase I am not a host, my concerns are not being taken seriously, and perhaps those in charge will listen to other hosts.

For the past month, I have noticed that there are SERIOUS problems with the map function slowing down the load time of the site.  When I search for a place to stay, I like to use the map - I like to choose a place that is near a given address, or is near public transit, etc.  Ordinarily, I type in my selected city and choose my dates - and then the search page shows me the set of listings, and the map on the side shows me where those listings are located.  If I adjust any of the filters, the map re-adjusts as well.  If I zoom in on the map, the map and listings all re-adjust, and the same when I re-position the map center point.  Just like with Yelp.

However - for the past month or so, each time I do any of these steps, the map takes as much as a MINUTE to load.  So, now it's: type in selected city and dates, wait 60 seconds for the map to finish loading....adjust a filter, wait 50 seconds for the map to re-adjust and reload....adjust another filter, wait another 60 seconds....adjust another filter, wait....zoom in the map, wait.....select one listing, look at it, wait for the map to readjust....move the map, wait....lately, I've been just giving up in frustration, and you all have been losing a potential customer because AirBnB's site isn't letting me find you.

In my earlier thread, I was asked whether I had tried a different browser.  I have tried three and had the same problem.  I have also tried turning off adblockers, clearing my browser cache, updating things like Flash and Java plugins - the problem is with AirBnB itself, and they do not seem like they wish to address it.

I am urging the hosts to please speak to AirBnB, perhaps they will listen to you.

Thanks.

Kim W.

5 Replies 5
Christian65
Level 10
Copenhagen, Denmark

Hi @Kimberly106

I just tried (again) from my end and it works flawlessly for me so I don't think its an Airbnb related issue more than a local issue with your pc perhaps?

I'm no tech kid so I can't help regarding your setup but the map or the airbnb platform is most likely not the issue here.

I have spoken to friends and they are also reporting the same problem.

It very well could be an issue with some computers and not others.  However, it strikes me that if more than one person is having this issue, surely AirBnB could offer some solution above and beyond "have you tried a different broswer" and then not offering further solutions when I say "yes I have".

@Kimberly106 

When I was a guest user I would also always use the map function to find places near subway/train stations. I haven't been a guest user for a while - only a host, but I do like to occasionally log off and use the map function to see what kind of competition I have 🙂 Same as @Christian65 I haven't had any problems with the map loading or zoom (I use chrome and explorer) over the weekend. I'm sorry I'm not tech savy enough to offer any explanations. 

Quincy
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hello @Kimberly106,

I'm sorry to hear that you're currently still experiencing the same issue. I'm afraid there's not much I can do here since I'm not tech support nor the techy person, but I would recommend that you contact Airbnb in this case and maybe also report this issue as a bug report via the Airbnb feedback page.

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines // Volg de communityrichtlijnen

M46
Level 2
United States

I too have a listing where the map from Airbnb is actually incorrect.

I had a guest book, then cancel once she realizes that my listing was not where Airbnb showed it to be.

I simply state the location by intersecting streets ....so a potential guest can look up before booking.