My host has changed the price and I don not agree. So now what happens?

Rossana43
Level 1
Grenoble, France

My host has changed the price and I don not agree. So now what happens?

I rented a studio in December, he agreed, and now he says Airbnb made a mistake and has increased the price, like 300USD more. I don't accept it. So what happens with the money I have already payed? 

4 Replies 4
Marie405
Level 10
Taguig, Philippines

You do nothing, @Rossana43. Airbnb do not set the rent price they can only suggest. And most of the time they'll suggest to the Hosts to lower the price, not the other way around.

Have you stayed at the studio already or was it only booked last December?

Thank you so much for your answer. I booked it in December for next July, 7 days in New York. An hour ago he told me that the price had changed because airbnb had made a mistake (like 350USD more, I pay in euros, I'm French) and I had to say if I was ok with the change or not. As I declined, then he said to me airbnb is going to refund what I had payed. Now I am looking for another place but in those dates it is really hard to find something else. 

My question is, how does it work now? Do I get the half already paid back? Does airbnb just keeps the money and uses it for my next flat rent? What if I don't find anything (I am looking for another appartment but it is really hard) and decide to go to a hotel? 

Thanks for your help. Really upset.

@Rossana43, your host is not being honest when he says "AirBnB made a mistake" if the price was wrong.

AirBnB does not set the pricing; the host sets the pricing. He is either trying to correct his own error, or to just trying get more money. (Neither of which you have to agree to.)

You say that you declined the price change, but you do not say if you cancelled your reservation.

If you have not cancelled your reservation, has the host cancelled the reservation?

If one of you has cancelled, then yes, AirBnB is going to refund you some money (how much depends on his cancellation policy and which of you cancelled.)

If neither of you has cancelled the reservation, then the host is incorrect when he says AirBnB will refund the money. If neither of you has cancelled, then the reservation is still good at the original price.

At this point, it is very important to state: you, the guest, should NOT cancel. If the host wants to cancel this reservation, then the host has to cancel the reservation, not you. The host may try to trick / convince you to cancel, but you should ignore him in that regard.

If your reservation is still good, then you are supposed to be able to travel and stay in the listing as planned at the original price. The host may grumble and about it, but he has no power to change the price without your agreement.

The host can cancel, but then he will not be allowed to rent out the listing via AirBnB on those dates, and will have other significant penalties applied. (That's why he does not want to do the cancellation.)

You can contact AirBnB support and explain the situation to them. They are the ones who can offer you some help should the host cancel on you last minute. If you can get AirBnB support aware of the issues now, it could help should the host cancel.

But if the host does not cancel, you can stay for your reserved days at the original price.

Paul-And-Fanny0
Level 2
Silver Spring, MD

I'm a host and once I sent a special price for a guest but I really made a mistake. I thought the price i sent was for each month but it was supposed to be for the entire 4 months.

Thankfully the guest knew it was definitely a mistake for a price to be so low and allowed me to correct it.

Don't think all host are trying to trick you. 

Also I had plenty of guest that assumed something or didn't read my listings very well and I had to take time to speak with Airbnb to help them cancel penalty free.

We all make mistakes.

It's best if you didn't book yet just to find another place if you can't agree.