My listing was suspended

Mike2524
Level 1
Pennsylvania, United States

My listing was suspended

Hello everyone, 

I’m looking for some advice/insight because I have unique situations. According to Airbnb my listing was suspended because the Safety section of the Community Standards may not have been followed.

My listing is a guest suit in my home that has a separate entrance but is still attached to my main house. There was an altercation in the main house involving two individuals which caused a noise disturbance to the guests. This was completely unrelated to my listing but the guest was scared and called the police. The guest then reported to Airbnb he felt unsafe and now my listing is suspended.

This seems super unfair and I’m still waiting to hear back from Airbnb. I am a super host with great reviews. I also refunded the guest fully, even though I don’t believe it was required. 

3 Replies 3
Sudsrung0
Level 10
Rawai, Thailand

@Mike2524 

I guess there is not a great deal you can do about it, you will have to wait until they decide,

In the meantime you could open another account in your partners name,

Then get yourself listed on other platforms such as Trip advisor, Booking dot com and VRBO,

Good luck 

Gwen386
Level 10
Lusby, MD

@Mike2524 Why in the world would you think an altercation in your home would not be related to your listing? It absolutely is! And as a guest, I would have been scared too. 

My rental is similar to yours. It is a basement studio apt with a separate private entrance. I go out of my way to ensure my guest hears nothing out of the ordinary from above—loud talking, walking heavily, etc.

Please see it from your guest’s POV and airbnb’s concern regarding the safety of guests while staying in your STR. A loud altercation could have easily escalated to something more serious.

IMHO, the guest did deserve a refund and I don’t understand why you believe the suspension is unfair. I suggest treating this entire situation as a lesson-learned. 

Mike2524
Level 1
Pennsylvania, United States

@Gwen386 Hi Gwen, I’m happy to say Airbnb understood that this issue was out of my control and my listing is active again.

There was a drunk intruder in the none Airbnb home, so not much I could have done not to cause the altercation and the person was arrested. It was a weird situation but things happen. I refunded the guest because I also believed they deserved it but according the Airbnb it was not required. Maybe you can now see why I didn’t think this issue was related to my listing.  I’m glad you go out of your way for your guests, you must be such an amazing host!!