New Orleans STR Regulations don't affect long-term rentals

Michelle435
Level 1
Columbus, OH

New Orleans STR Regulations don't affect long-term rentals

And yet, I keep getting emails from AirBnB telling me they are going to delist my property if I don't register with the City of New Orleans as an STR. I tried contacting AirBnB with my issue, and all I got back is a non-relevant email from their customer service with tons of links on how to register as an STR. They did not even bother to read my email and respond properly. I'm hoping someone will see my post on the community forums and address my question properly.

I do not have a short-term rental, I have a long-term rental requiring 30 days or more. I have ALWAYS required a 30 day or longer rental for three reasons: 1) It's the law in New Orleans for those living outside of the French Quarter (I'm in Algiers Point); 2) I don't want my home destroyed by weekend partiers; 3) I don't want my neighbors or my full-time renter in the other half of the double hating me.

I am not affected by the new short term rental law. I am not required to purchase any permit by the city of New Orleans. I double checked this with the NOLA STR Department and received this response from them... "Good morning, I am Marquise Cooper, code enforcement  for short term rentals, here is the city’s definition of short term rntal. Short Term Rentals: Rentals of a premises or any portion thereof for dwelling, lodging or sleeping purposes with duration of occupancy of less than sixty (60) consecutive days in the Vieux Carré and less than thirty (30) consecutive days outside the Vieux Carré. Hotels, motels, bed and breakfasts, and other land uses explicitly defined and regulated in this ordinance separately from short term rentals are not considered to be short term rentals. So if you rent your double out over 30 days then you are not considered short term rental."

What do I need to do to keep my listing active on Airbnb?

4 Replies 4
Linda108
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

@Michelle435  Sounds like you are caught in automated response loop and need to speak with an Air BNB staff person.  Here is the US phone number  855 424 7262.  I find the hold time is much less if you call very early in the morning.  Good luck!

Hilary56
Level 1
Slidell, LA

Hi Michelle. Did you ever get a resolution from AirBNB? I am also renting for 30 days or longer and AirBNB is generating taxes and I don't think it should.

No I never got any type of response except for what seemed like form letters. I gave up on AirBNB and just use VRBO and CorporateHousingByOwner to find long-term renters.

Hello Michelle.  I know I'm reviving a long dead but I was looking for someone who has insight on running a long term rental in the city of New Orleans.  My wife and I are in the process of purchasing my wife's grandmother's home.  To maintain it and use it as a place to stay when we are in town we would like to rent it but I've seen that New Orleans has a lot of "red tape" when it comes to rentals like this.  Thanks in advance.