No Accurate Background Verification & COMPLETELY UNACCEPTABLE CUSTOMER SERVICE by Airbnb

Alex1141
Level 1
Miami, FL

No Accurate Background Verification & COMPLETELY UNACCEPTABLE CUSTOMER SERVICE by Airbnb

I have called over FIVE different times to AirBnb to resolve an issue regarding a completely INCORRECT Background check that caused my account to be disactivated and my reservation to be cancelled. After following the process to dispute the BLATENT INCOMPETENT background check that was done due to Airbnb's extremely CHEAP decision to purchase the most basic background check, my account has been finally cleared. When calling Airbnb to have my account activated, I ran into three different INCOMPETENT people who's only response was well you must dispute the issue first. I tried to explain multiple, I REPEAT MULTIPLE, times that I already disputed the issue and it has been resolved the "Customer Service" (used loosely) repeated well you have to dispute it before we can do anything.

I have lost my reservations after having planned months in advance to propose to my girlfriend on this trip. We are now having to stay in a MOTEL because there are no descent AirBnB options available, and hotels are all booked! I continue to get no support from Airbnb. The way I have been treated by Airbnb, I will make it a goal to go to every single social media outlet to tell people what they have done, about their decision to obtain the CHEAPEST and CRAPPIEST background search with no level of verification beyond a name and date of birth, and how they have shown ZERO interest in helping correct the issue!  I will make sure to try and sway as many people as I can away from using AirBNB!

Those of you that are renting out your houses BE AWARE that the background search that AirBnB chose should not provide you with any confidence that they are truly identifying people with criminal backgrounds or that may be a danger. Their existing contract is a JOKE, and do not believe me but contact their background search company and ask them what level of scrutiny they use. NOTHING but a name and date of birth. 

7 Replies 7

@Alex1141

Sorry for your troubles........I am not sure about other hosts but I am fully aware that ABB does nothing that could be considered as any sort of "background check" - it is up to the individual host/guest to determine whether the other party is suitable and trustworthy. ABB is merely a booking platform that connects users. 

Guess you should learn more about ABB as I am a guest that lost his reservations because ABB contracted a company to do just that. Except they selected the cheapest option this company offered. So in theory you are correct ABB does not do the search they have hired someone to do it for them, who does it quite poorly!

@Alex1141

FYI, I started out as a guest user way before I ever became a host and I knew it was up to me to screen hosts & listings/guests from the start. And like @Gordon0 said, ABB doesn't really look at posts here - this is just where fellow hosts exchange thoughts, ideas, information and sometimes rant a bit. 

Gordon0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

I'm not sure if this is a general rant, or if you expect Airbnb to intervene, but this is a community forum and it isn't the place to get 'answers' from Airbnb. You may want to consider tweeting them for some sort of resolution.

As an FYI, capitalising words makes them much harder to read.  Many readers will just 'switch off' on seeing them.

PS. Hope your girlfriend said 'yes'. 

Ali40
Level 10
Crozet, VA

I agree with Jessica and Henry. Airbnb facilitates the booking by giving me a platform to advertise my rental. I choose who gets to stay. 

@Ali40

Don't forget they take circa 20% for such a simple service, money for old rope in my opinion.

Airbnb took 3% of my last 8 day reservation. That seems reasonable to me for the advertising and processing the credit card transaction.